Woe, WAS Me | Teen Ink

Woe, WAS Me

I remember the first time I ever encountered the post-hardcore band “Woe, Is Me.” It was at the 2011 battle of the bands. They had recently been signed by Rise Records, and released a full length album while being signed by Rise. I remember being in love when I first heard their album, for it was breathtaking. The listener could hear each and every individually talented musician playing their part to the perfect timing, tuning, and rhythm. The result, a completely different and unique sound that any post hardcore fan would simply adore.

I remember seeing them at that battle. Tyler Carter killed it, for his clean vocals are the best I’ve ever heard for almost any male vocalist. Michael, despite having turrets, was truly a monster on stage, because he really lay down those unclean vocals. Ben and Corey Ferris, the keyboard and bass players, were two brothers that made the band mesh together, while Kevin and Tim were the perfect combo for guitarists. The band was perfect, all but one member.

That lineup lasted for about 2 solid, amazing years. They toured on Warped Tour, they were featured in “Punk Goes Pop Volume 3” doing a metal cover of Katy Perry’s “Hot and Cold.” The band was doing so well, but started having creative differences. This situation was different with any other band, because it was only the drummer causing these problems. Instead of doing what most bands do, everyone else left the drummer all alone with their guitarist Kevin, so that they could start their own new band. No one saw that move coming, and so many people were disappointed in the huge lineup change.

Rise Records ended up salvaging Woe, Is Me. They brought in all new members, from all different bands to try and start Woe, Is Me back up again, only having two original members. I didn’t know what to expect, but I definitely didn’t expect them to have that same original sound they had before.

They decided to show up at the battle of the bands again, so of course me being curious, I decided to go. I went into the concert being open minded, even though my once favorite band was basically gone, and my fears were proved true when they started their first song. It was the most generic thing I could ever imagine. They had the same sound as 20 other bands. The guitars never played notes on more than two strings. The clean vocals performed by a guy named Hance, were nothing like Tyler’s. The unclean vocals were the least understandable screams I have ever heard in a band. The drums were even worse, even though it was the same drummer. I expected change, but I also expected originality. There was change, but no diversity or originality. It felt like I was hearing the same song over and over again with each new song they played. My heart was broken. I don’t know if any other band will experience such a downfall. Some people seemed to enjoy it, but that’s because they never had the pleasure of listening to the musical genius of their original lineup.

I guess all bands go through lineup changes, but they don’t deserve to keep that name. After a while, they even kicked out the drummer, so that Kevin was the only original member left. That’s not “Woe, Is Me,” that’s “Woe, WAS Me.”