The Unashamed Sinner and the Denying GOd | Teen Ink

The Unashamed Sinner and the Denying GOd

October 17, 2013
By riplms2005 DIAMOND, Oglesby, Illinois
riplms2005 DIAMOND, Oglesby, Illinois
52 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live a good life, you people!" -Myers, old english teacher


“So, there is a God?” Lyle inquired sarcastically.

“How can you even question that?” Heather shot back at him.

“I can question what I want to question, and when this supposed God says someone like me is going to Hell, then I am never going to believe in him.”

“Lyle,” Cris, his closest friend, reprimanded him.

“No, Cris,” he desperately cried. “I’m tired of people saying I’m going to Hell.” He looked to the entire group of students. “I won’t believe in this God! I won’t!” Lyle covered his face with his hands.

“Lyle, it’s not that we don’t like you, but the Bible says it’s wrong,” Heather said calmly. A few others muttered “yeah” and nodded.

“The Bible!” he scoffed. “If the bible was 100% correct, all of us would be damned for some reason or another.”

“It’s just immoral, Lyle.”

“Really?” Lyle asked in disbelief. “I’m immoral?”

“Not you,” Heather stated, “just who you love.”

“Loving someone that doesn’t fit the status quo is immoral? The thought that it is, is immoral,” Lyle responded.

“It’s against God and the Bible.”

“Then why was I made this way? Isn’t it your God that loves everyone unconditionally? Didn’t he make everyone to be in his image?”

“He didn’t make you this way; you chose it.”

“I didn’t choose it!” Lyle shouted.

“Okay, guys,” Cris interrupted. “Let’s cool it.”

Taking a deep breath, Lyle vented, “If I’m immoral, then what’s the guy who walks into a school and shoots a bunch kids? Or the guys who take advantage of little girls and rape them? Or the guys who beat their wives and kids? They—them guys—are immoral. And what becomes of them? They ask forgiveness and this God grants it, but I can never have that same forgiveness, and I’ve never and will never hurt a single soul. That is immoral to me.”

“If you don’t believe in Him, why do you want forgiveness?” Heather asked.

“I agree with him,” Cris pronounced. “He has a point. A murderer can get forgiveness, but this amazing boy here can’t be himself and receive God’s love. But, you know what, Lyle?”

“Enlighten me,” sarcasm and frustration in his voice.

“I think He loves you anyway.”

Lyle smiled and laughed. “Maybe, but I just think it’s stupid that every priest or pastor or whatever has told me I need to be cleansed and healed when there’s nothing wrong with me. It’s degrading.

“Well clearly, they were the ones who were wrong,” Cris asserted.

Lyle leaned back and placed his hands behind his head. Cris, Heather, and the others followed suit. “A priest seriously told you that?” Heather questioned, turning her head to look at him. Lyle nodded. “Okay,” she continued, “Now that’s wrong.”

Lyle stared at her, disbelief in his eyes. “Are you kidding me?”

Heather laughed, “Not in the slightest.”

Lyle had become used to the scrutiny and the judging, but he never thought that there would be a day when Heather was on his side on this. He turned to Heather, “Good.”