Halfback Crack | Teen Ink

Halfback Crack

October 31, 2013
By JohnWill BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
JohnWill BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

1.2 seconds, 1.2 seconds that would decide my future. My name is Dwayne Jefferson, Halfback, at Cincinnati Central High School. We had made it to the championships with a record of 12-0 and we weren't prepared to lose but we were up against the Burlington Beavers a they were one of the toughest teams in the state, it was one of the hardest games I have ever played. My head hurt, my body ached, and my leg felt like someone stuck a nail through it. But all of that was drowned out by the adrenaline pumping through my veins. The score was 25-20, at 3rd and 18 on the 35 Ron our QB had been sacked a total of 11 times that game and 2 that drive. He called an I-right 93 on one.
“DOWN SET HUT” he says
But our line had all but given up so the other team from exhaustion and the Beavers slipped right through so Ron spiked the ball. now it was 4th and 18, 1.2 seconds left.
Ron looked at me in the huddle and said “You feelin lucky”
I say “ No doubt”
“Okay lets do this” He says with a sly smile on his face.

I had to score on this drive, the fate of the team rested on my shoulders. The play was a halfback pitch, I had one chance to make my team champions.” DOWN, SET, HUT” Ron says. All of the sudden the world went in slow motion he backed away from the line hand outstretched to hand me the ball. I cut in to take it his pitch to me. I grab it out of the air, and I’m off like a bullet. I know this is a long shot 4th and 18 on the 35 with 1.2 seconds left but as I said i’m feeling lucky.

Getting the ball was one thing but running for the touchdown and holding on to it were too different evils. I was at the 34 the first time I was touched Tim Brandon from the Beavers. I look back and he had gotten a hold of my jersey trying to bring me down, but my legs would not give up, I kept pushing on and on ignoring the pain, and soon I broke free.
I was on the 25 then the 15 then the 5 when all of a sudden Jim Tomlin comes out of nowhere and grabs me by the ankles. I did what I learned in practice, high knees. But it was too much for me and I start plummeting towards the ground. I outstretched my arms hoping that it would be enough to get me the touchdown. I smashed my jaw hard into the ground but I didn’t care. All that I cared about is that I got the touchdown and when I open my eyes, I saw the most beautiful thing. The balls tip was touching the goal line TOUCHDOWN CCHS WINS. It was the greatest moment of my life. Even as I look back on that day 23 years later there is not a single thing I would do differently.