Lost, Invisible. No one. | Teen Ink

Lost, Invisible. No one.

By anaissaoxo BRONZE, Cranston, Rhode Island
anaissaoxo BRONZE, Cranston, Rhode Island
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

"My heart is like a bird, fluttering and free. My mind is like a shark, cold and misunderstood."

I am scared. I am alone. I am lonely.
I don't know where I am, and I'm not sure where I've been.
I wake up under a leaky roof in a dim lit room. It smells of manure and mold. Under me is something that feels rough... straw maybe. My hands are soaked with an unknown liquid. Where am I? Who am I?
My legs learn how to stand and shakily, I walk toward noise. The patter of rain. I walk until I feel a hard surface in front of me and push. Light streams in from the open doors and I notice there are gray clouds coveting the earth and small droplets of rain splashing the ground. I notice that I am on a barren road. I walk.
I walk for miles. I walk until my feet are soar. I walk until the rain has stopped. I walk until I find something. I still cannot find myself.
I walk until I reach a road with cars. Instinct raises my thumb into the air over and over until a car pulls over and I get in, soaking the mans car. He seems worried.
"What's your name?" He has a hat that is too small for his fat head and a beard that covers both of his chins. He also sports a beer belly with a plaid shirt that barely covers it.
"I do not know" Words escape my lips. I feel surprised that I could utter anything at all.
He doesn't say anything. He just looks at me for a while and starts up the car and continues to drive.
We drive.
and we drive.
We drive for hours. We do not talk. We do not look at each other. We do not do anything. We sit. We wait.
I'm not sure what we are waiting for. But after hours of travel he stops at a gas station.
"Stay here." He demands as he gets out of the car and walks into the old gas station.
I leave.
People walk around me, phones and suitcases in hand, suits on, talking quickly.
I feel like I can read their minds, but I realize they are speaking aloud to another person on the other end of some high end phone.
"Cindy, are you crazy?"
"I cannot do that for you. I am sorry."
"Don't you dare! I swear to GOD"
People stare at me. I cover myself up. I must look terrible.
All of these people continue on with their lives as I walk along these streets wondering my age, my name, my friends, my home.
I stop. I look around.
Where am I?
Who am I?
Where am I?
I scream it on the top of my lungs.
"WHO AM I? WHO AM I? PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME! AM I OKAY? HELP, PLEASE HELP!" Tears form as I pound my fist into the air.
No one hears me. No one notices. I scream loud, but no body hears me. No one understands.
I am invisible. I am no one. I am lost.

This was inspired from almost every teenage mind. Every teenager at some point questions "who am i?" and this displays the exact - at least my - feeling when questioning this. This piece was not supposed to be literal in the sense the person is actually doing these things. When reading, read it in a more metaphorical way.