A dream come true | Teen Ink

A dream come true

By GeryG. GOLD, Dragovistitsa, Other
GeryG. GOLD, Dragovistitsa, Other

Never stop laughing

They say that when you hit the bottom there is nowhere to go but up. I didn’t believe that. I was standing on solid rock and no one could convince me that it gets better. My dream of becoming a writer was shattered into little pieces. My heart with it. I lost everything. I could barely make enough money to eat, let alone pay my rent. There was no passion in my life. My grandfather had left me everything he had and I wasted it. All of it. I was living in a lousy one room apartment. All my possessions consisted of a notebook, a pen, cell phone, bed and three shoddy outfits. I was working in a miserable café not far from where I live. And I myself could not feel more contempt. I was broken, sad and I had given up completely until one day this person walked in the café and sat on one of the tables. For the sake of the story let this person be called Jenny. I walked to her table and asked to take her order. When she looked at me it was as if all my troubles went away. She just had that remarkable presence. My life didn’t seem so bad. Suddenly everything was going to be ok. I took her order and I don’t know why, but she invited me to join her. I sat down and we started talking. Jenny was really easy to talk to. In less than an hour I told her my whole life story and she didn’t seem to mind. Finally she took out a notebook and a pen and asked me for my number. I have no idea why she wanted it and I didn’t ask, because I didn’t care. She wrote it down and said she has to leave, she then stood up and walked away. A few days after our first encounter she called me and said that there is something I have to hear. I immediately got dressed and went out to the place she wanted to meet. It was on the other side of town. The nice part. I went in the café and she was already there. I sat down and she told me her story. One that I will never forget. A girl with a dream. The dream to win a championship in track and field. She trains really hard year after year and is so close that she can feel it. In just one year the girl will be able to compete at the European championship. And she knows she can do it. Unfortunately a visit to a cardiologist proves her wrong. She hears a lot of medical terms leading to the words: ‘You can’t be a professional athlete. It’s too risky.’ She quits and suddenly she is empty, because she has no dream. But not too long after she quits she has the erg to somehow express herself. She goes to her computer, opens a new document and starts writing. That day she wrote her first monologue. She continues writing and soon she writes short stories and scripts. A week ago she sold her first script and soon she will make her new dream come true. The dream of seeing her script made into a movie and shown on the big screen. But there is something else she wants to do. And she wants me to join her. Right then and there she asked me to help her make her first dream come true. Because during all this time it never left her. For a moment we were silent. I was the first to speak. I told her that I am going to do anything in my power to help. She asked me to go with her to the Olympic stadium in London. Nothing more, nothing less. I explained that I didn’t have any money, but she simply said: ‘Don’t worry. Just trust me’. We might have known each other less than a week, but I did trust her. So the next day I packed my belongings and a car came to pick me up and drive me to the train station. Jenny waited for me there. We went on the train and sat in first class. She explained that she prefers trains rather than planes. Once she had even travelled around Europe travelling only by train, because she doesn’t like other transport and didn’t have a car. We talked more about our lives while we ate breakfast on the train. After a few hours she said we were getting close. I don’t know why I did it, but I had to ask her if I could call her a ‘friend’. She said: ‘Of course’. I smiled. Something about having a friend like her made me proud. We got off at the next stop. There was another car waiting for us there. Seeing my shock she explained that her uncle lives in London and ordered his driver to pick them up. Frankly now I was surprised about her uncle having a driver. When we got in the car she said that her uncle was a wealthy, but not such a healthy man. He was getting old and he was no longer able to drive his car, so he got a driver. She didn’t tell me what his business was, but I didn’t feel like I needed to know. That’s why I didn’t ask. The car pulled over at the stadium and we walked towards the entrance. The guard looked at Jenny. She just said her name and he unlocked the doors leading to the inside of the stadium. She went towards it and pushed down the handle. She was now approaching the track itself. Her eyes going from side to side, taking in everything. When her foot touched the track it’s like the stadium came to life. Like it was censing her presence. Every step she took, got her a little closer to her dream. And there it was – the starting line for the one hundred meters. You see, my friend had this really amazing gift. She could actually make you feel something. And when she closed her eyes and took a deep breath I was in her world. I saw the thousands of people on the stadium, I heard their roar. Their cheer. And they were all cheering for one person. For her. She fell to her knees and kissed the track. Then I heard the first signal: ‘on your marks’, the stadium went completely silent and I saw my friend take her position. Then came the second mark and she got ready. Finally there was the gun shot and she blasted herself towards the finish line. She might have not been as fast as Shelly-Ann Frazer-Pryce, maybe not even as fast as Ivet Lalova, but in her own world she was the champion. By crossing that line she won the European, the Olympics and the World Championship. At that moment her dream was a reality.

This is inspired by personal experience. And a personal dream that was unfortunately shattered. As most of the stories I write it is pretty straightforward. I hope to inspire people follow their dreams.