Hunters Love | Teen Ink

Hunters Love

By CreativeEagle BRONZE, Minerva, Ohio
CreativeEagle BRONZE, Minerva, Ohio

Thank you captain obvious!Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back.

It was early in the morning. My fingers felt like they had been swallowed by an icy fire and my toes were frozen stiff. My father and I are sitting around a tree waiting for a buck to come through the underbrush and at any moment, then my dad would carefully lift his gun and BANG! The deer would drop down dead and we can carry him home with our heads high and smiles on our lips. I could see it all now. The bark was scratchy against my neck as we sat there waiting for our prize deer. I sniffled a few time but was otherwise surprisingly still. When the crisp morning autumn air faded into a cool September afternoon we headed back to our jeep to eat. It was still cold enough that I kept my gloves on but I uncovered my fingers. We talked quietly as we ate, taking in the scenery around us. There was still dew on leaves from the fresh rain the night before, and I liked to rub my fingers along wet piece creating a picture. I took a bite from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and flavor of grape and strawberry mixed jelly burst into my mouth at the same time smooth and crunchy peanut butter followed. I let out a sigh of content.
The Day aged and we left for home around dinner time. That night we had pork chops for dinner. Chatter rang around the table and laughter was plentiful. I awoke the next morning and instantly knew I overslept. Why hadn’t pappy woke me? I wondered. I burst forth out of my room looking around. My sisters were sitting on the couch eating their breakfast they all three give me a sad disappointing look. My mother appears from down hall that leads to momma and pappy’s room.
“Momma.” I said. “ Why didn’t you wake me?” Momma laid a hand on my shoulder and said: “ Your pappy is sick. “ I stared at her for a long time. Then I went into the kitchen feeling depressed as I made my breakfast then sat down on the couch. I stayed inside the rest of the day, watching the sweet morning air fade into the afternoon warmth and evening aroma. There are only two more days until the end of hunting season. Will pappy be better by then? I went to sleep that night with my fingers crossed. I woke up late again the next morning at that day passed like seconds and before I knew I was in bed.
I fell asleep easily like usual. What bothered me was waking up. I was confused. Something had woken me up. However, I couldn’t tell what. I looked around and let out a groan. It was dark and I was probably just imagining things. Then, clear as a bell, I heard a low-very low and quiet chuckle. My eye’s shot open and I sat upright. There was a tap on my cheek and I jumped and turned. In the dim light of my alarm clock I could see the face of my pappy. I looked at the time. Four thirty it stated. I stared at my pappy for only a second longer then I smiled brightly. I stumbled out of bed to get ready.
Even now, twenty years later, I still remember the first time I went hunting with my pappy. The huge deer we caught at the last moment, before dusk, and the deer season was over. I remember my vision coming true. As we pulled in our drive way, my sister’s and mother gathered in the door way. I remember stepping out of the car and screaming. “We did it!!! We got one!!” getting hugs one by one from my family member’s and giving pappy one last hug before we retired to the house. I can still remember the crisp taste of the fresh morning autumn air. As I stand in front of his grave, with warm, wet tears streaming down my face. Though he is now gone, his memory will live on forever. He will never be forgotten. He will always be loved.

I originally wrote this as a essay, but i liked it and wanted to share it. My first piece that wasn't submitted at one o' clock in the morning. LoL