If Death Were a Gentleman This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

if Death were a gentleman, then the possum lying inside out on the road
the product of some kid in a car who wanted to see some blood
would be the last screeching entrance of Death
into and then – hiss, bam, bang – out of this dimension
because he would learn from the human exhalations that he passes on his way out
some manners
and he would enter quietly, when asked for by creaking bones
and smile, and tip his hat.

or his lesson would have been learned in the breath of that bullet that hit the boy walking home –
bang! justice learned, finally, from the yell of a harmless body harmed –

or in the girl in the woods – the girls in the woods – whispering their shame to the foliage, who would tell death as he passed through –

or in the broken bodies in the war, sent home or in home, lost to sorry desert sands that would roar through the world so loud Death could not ignore them –

or in the people who fell in the fires of a thousand buildings falling, expanding, shattering
or the frightened children crying, crying anytime, from the impotent land that lent all man life, or the depths of the city as sirens and mothers wailed against the boom-boom-boom of the bombs, a sorry symphony that would move Death to tears –

or the women melting into their homes, kimonos radiant on their skin, or the men with skeleton faces imprisoned by heaven and hell, or the soldiers, anytime, the people, anytime, the thousands wilting, burning, hanging in persecution, rotting in forgottenness –

or eons ago when man first picked up a stone and killed his brother –

except death, of the earth, he has nothing to learn

fabrications cannot learn, understand

Death: made not by God, nor anything godly!

no, if there were any gentle men anywhere then that man from a million millennia ago would have lifted that stone and looked at his brother and thought of blood and bone and said

wait

and dropped the stone.

BirdsingerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is quite a unique piece--poetic in rhythm and thought-provoking. I really enjoyed it. Also, wanted to mention that I loved The Book Thief. That was such an amazing book! Anyway, great job with this article and I'm eager to read more of your work! (:

AmaranthiniumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 7:53 pm :
thank you! :)

emmadolan said...
I actually just read through all of your work--incredible, thanks for sharing

Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm :
wow. that is a huge compliment haha. thank you so much! :D 

SilhouettesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yes, The Book Thief must be my favorite book, too; probably because it allows for so much wondering while you read. My fellow writer, well done, well done. :)

Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm :
haha yes it is a great book in that regard! and thank you :D

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:52 am:
Wow. This is amazing. And it deserves more than an editors choice!!! I would have published this!! Amazing, breathtakingly beautiful. True talent my friend :) keep rockin and writin cuz this was amazing!!!

Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:20 pm :
thank you so much :) 

PeriwinkleFallsSoftlyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:25 am:
Beautiful!

Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm :
thanks! :)