The Silver Locket | Teen Ink

The Silver Locket

By Jasmine.Chini BRONZE, Vista, California
Jasmine.Chini BRONZE, Vista, California

I always wonder why
birds stay
in the same place
when they can fly
anywhere on the earth.
Then I ask myself
the same question.

-Harun Yahya

As young seven year-old, Lucy, lay in the grassy field, she watched the clouds lit by the moon, slowly move with the wind. Lucy curled in a tight ball trying to keep the cold away. Tears stained her face and new threatened to fall. There was a loud rumbling sound, young Lucy looked to the star filled sky. The sight of a dark figure in blending in with the clouds filled her glassy eyes, they widened at the realization it was no cloud.

Lucy scrambled to her feet, her legs were sore from running, running from the pursuers that were before her. Helicopters were swarming, and police cars were expected soon after. The long spiraling wings pounded against the wind, making loud heartbeat sounds. Bright search lights landed on Lucy, she covered her eyes with her small hand. Lucy's brain told her to run, but her legs would not move. As Lucy expected, police sirens screamed in the silent night, followed by red and blue lights. Lucy thought for sure that her parents had sent them out to look for her.

She ran as fast as she could to the nearby woods, where she would not be found. As she went further, the woods became denser and darker. All the sudden, Lucy collided with someone, they both fell to the floor. After a moment of silence and staring at each other’s silhouettes, before Lucy then asked, who’s there? A young male voice shushed her.

“Please help me.” Lucy said in a whisper, pleading to the stranger.

The boy raised his eyebrow at the young girl asking for his help innocently. He was not in the right state of mind to be able to help with anyone else’s problems but his own, so he anticipated her needy response.

“I ran away from home tonight, and the police are out trying to find me!” exclaimed terrified Lucy.

He chuckled, “I think your mistaken, shorty, I’m the one they’re after.” He said pointing to himself, almost proudly.

Lucy looked at him curiously, lights shown through the trees. The names “Jack” and “Lucy” were called, the sound echoed through the big forest. Lucy clutched onto the boy’s pant leg, white flashlight lights went left and right looking for the two minor runaways. The Boy started jogging carelessly; Lucy had to run to keep up, tripping on a couple of roots and fallen branches.

“Why….are…they after….you?” Lucy asked between pants.

“I’m a runaway.” The stranger said, not giving a lot away.

“Why would you runaway? You parents are probably worried sick about you.” Lucy said kindly.

“Ha, funny, my parents couldn’t care less about me.” He said bitterly.

“Oh that’s not true, they wouldn’t be looking for you.”

“They aren’t, the police are the ones after me.”

Lucy looked at the boy sympathetically, “My name’s Lucy, What’s yours?”

“Jack,” was his answer before he led them to a small cliff.

Lucy was speechless at the amazing view of a city, lights alimented against the dark sky, and you could see little people walking the streets and coming out of buildings even at this hour. Jack jumped down to the green grass fifteen feet down.

He looked up to Lucy, “Ya comin’? “

Lucy looked down and cowered; Jack sighed and raised his hands to the sky.

“Come on trust me.” He said with a smile.

Lucy shut her eye’s and stepped off, she screamed the whole way down until Jack caught her in his arms and set her down. He looked towards the town and started to run down the grassy hill, letting the wind whip his jet black hair around. Lucy ran after him, only not enjoying her long blonde hair messing up. Jack stopped at a street and had a happy and relieved expression on his face, when Lucy caught up and stood by him she had a glare shooting at Jack and started combing her messy hair with her fingers. Jack led the way through the bright town, pushing through people.

“So Shorty, Why are the boys in blue after you?” He asked.

But no reply… “Shorty?” Jack turned around to see Lucy gone.

“Shorty, SHORTY.” He called as he violently pushed people out of his way, nearly to the ground.

He saw her admiring a silver heart locket through a window of a jewelry store, He sighed in relief. After wondering why he cared so much about the girl.

“Don’t go running off like that Shorty, you scared me.” He said.

Lucy put her hand against the glass, “It’s so pretty.”

Jack smiled, “Well when your parent’s get ya, tell them to buy it for ya.”

She frowned, “I don’t want to go back, they-“She started crying.

Jack winced and realized that the reason he cared for her well-being was because he has a sister her age. Well had, she died in a car accident after that his single mother turned to alcoholics and did drugs because their favorite child had passed away. Jack himself was crushed, and wishes it was him. He kneeled down and hugged sobbing Lucy.

Jack stood up and led the way again but this time Lucy grabbed his hand. Jack tensed, but after gripped her hand back and smiled. They walked to a closed barber shop. Jack pulled Lucy to the back door; after they went inside they were meet by a boy Jack’s age putting away hair dye in a cabinet.

“Aye, Jack, Long time no see right buddy.” He said shaking Jack’s free hand,
“Who’s the tiny one?” He pointed to Lucy.

“Uh…Lucy, hey Eric, mind if we crash in the basement?” Jack asked.

“No problem.” ‘Eric’ said and walked them to a door opening to a stairway going downstairs.

Jack walked downstairs, Lucy followed him not letting go of his hand. Inside there was two twin sized beds with white blankets and pillows and a bathroom. Jack flopped on one bed and Lucy sat on the other one facing Jack, with his hands behind his head. Lucy pulled off her shoes and laid down; when she did she finally realized how exhausted she really was, She covered herself with the blanket and yawned.

“Big Brother-“She started.

“Big Brother?” Jack asked interrupting her.

“Ya, I never had one before, I’m the only child.” She said smiling at him.

“Must get lonely.” Jack said to no one really.

“Do you have siblings?” She said not erasing the smile.

Jack choked up and held back tears, “S-she died.”

Lucy saddened and apologized, Jack turned around with his back facing her; he didn’t say another word all night.

Lucy got up and took off his black convers and pulled the blanket over him, then whispered good night.

When Lucy woke up Jack was gone, she freaked out a little before he walked in with a bag. The smell of pancakes and bacon filled Lucy’s nose. After eating like she never ate in her entire life, Lucy and Jack walked around town. Jack put his hands in his pant pockets messing with the Locket he got for Lucy. Lucy was worrying if she angered him, he still has not said a word to her since last night. The sound of sirens filled the town; Jack’s eyes went wide. Lucy looked terrified in to Jack’s Electric Blue eyes and he looked back into Lucy’s Light blue ones. They both knew there was no way out of it this time the cars were coming from both directions. Lucy’s ears felt like they turned off, she couldn’t hear anything. All she could do, was watch in slow motion as the cars quickly halted to a stop in front of them, the police ran out the car and hand-cuff jack as he struggle against them and yelled to Lucy then threw something to her, she slowly picked up the small silver thing jack threw and Lucy’s crying parents came running to her checking her for any wounds she could of got, police shove Jack into the back seat of a car, and drive away with him. Lucy couldn’t process everything. Losing her new best friend, she just stood there frozen as the world still moved on.

On the way home, sitting in the back seat, she took the thing Jack threw to her out of her pocket.

Lucy let out silent tears as she saw the Silver locket she had wanted, she sobbed as she saw the picture of jack smiling inside, and almost died when she saw ‘Love, Big Brother’ carved in the back.

“I’ll get you back, brother.” She whispered and looked out the window, “Look, even the sky is crying.”

Someone I care about passed away, I do everything in inspiration of her.

ShiroAkai SILVER, Carlsbad, California

"Hate the sin, not the sinner" "First impressions are the most lasting"

This is very well written, and very emotional. I really enjoyed reading this!

Jasmine.Chini BRONZE, Vista, California

I always wonder why
birds stay
in the same place
when they can fly
anywhere on the earth.
Then I ask myself
the same question.

-Harun Yahya

Thank you. :)

LaChouette GOLD, Mount Vernon, New York

“And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.”
- George Carlin

This is a nice story. It's sad at some points and sweet at others. It's a good balance. Very nice!