The last meal | Teen Ink

The last meal

May 28, 2013
By Blackbeauty101 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Blackbeauty101 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My mother is sick I’m finally coming to the conclusion that she will soon past away. This will be the last meal my mother and I will encounter, so I will savor the moment.

The doctor only gave her two weeks to live and now this two-week tragedy is winding down to an end. I take my mothers hand and kiss it softly but she doesn’t make a sound or move and, tears start to fall from my eyes. Looking back at the last meal I cooked for us will always be in my mind as I sent next to her in this hospital bed watching the machine beep as her chest move. The doctor walked checked on her and left trying to avoid the hurt that was tearing my face up but at this point he’s use to heartache and pain. My mother finally opened her eyes and smiled and I gripped her hand softly and told her I love her.


Unable to talk she still understands what I said I know that she also loves me too as she nodded her head. I know she hurts inside as the cancer eats at her soul alive and she is unable to stop it. So her leaving this world to go somewhere better and she wont suffer anymore makes me even happier. I will always be upset because she left me alone but I can’t let my selfishness conquer my own pain of letting go. The day is finally winding down and my mother is still fighting strong I whispered in her ear that its time to let go mom just let go.


Tears rolled from her eyes because she knew it was about that time but being a mother she never wants to give up. Finally her hand falls from mines as the machine suddenly started to beep doctors and nurses flew in at once a pushed me out the door. Looking through the glass I see them check her pulse but I knew she was gone. I banged on the glass real hard screaming mom please don’t go throwing a temper tantrum like a child. I finally pulled myself together and walked back in the room feeling her hands she felt really cold and it made me sick.


Tears rolling of my face on to the floor unable to stop I grabbed a tissue. Sitting next to her made me feel cold, alone and desperate because reality hit me that I to have died alone with her. I kissed her on her forehead and told her not to forget about the last meal we had together.