Football Dream | Teen Ink

Football Dream

May 23, 2013
By Pedro King BRONZE, Nampa, Idaho
Pedro King BRONZE, Nampa, Idaho
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My Football Dream
I could hear the thousands of fans in the Rose Bowl Stadium. But in my mind, silence. My heart thumping as the grass beneath my feet trembled/ I looked up at the pink sky of Pasadena as the sun was setting. The smell of hot dogs from fans in the stands. Then I think back to how this all started. It started with a dream.

Being raised around a football gamily the sport was a big part of my life. When I was growing up I would always watch the college football games on ESPN with my dad and grandpa. Then when I was seven I played football video games. To be specific I played NCAA Football 05. That helped me understand the game more as a kid. But I still wasn’t playing the sport with other people.



When I was in 5th grade my mom signed me up for PAL which was an actual football league for kids in the city that were my age. This was the first year I was ever going to play football. I was so excited! But I wasn’t the best my first year… My second year… Eee well I was alright. But my third year I was considered a beast. I dominated the league and had a touchdown like every game. I scored 20 touchdowns that season and was ready to move on to middle school ball.

That winter I heard about a spring football league that I could play in the spring. It was for kids from a range of ages so I would be playing with older kids but I didn’t care because of my love of the sport I just wanted to play. The league was called the Idaho Elite Football League. My team was called the Warriors and I was playing with all my friends from school. I was in 7th grade going into 8th grade. The season I had wasn’t my best but the competition was a little harder. The game was faster when I played because of the older kids. But anyway that season I got 1 of the 3 MVP awards on my team. I felt I was improving at the sport at a rapid pace because I have only played for 4 seasons now and I was doing pretty well. Then that fall I started my first and only year in middle school football. It was my 8th grade football season and I was disappointed with myself because I only scored 5 touchdowns the whole season but the team still won the three way tie for the championship with the other schools in the district. After that season I was determined to be the greatest player the next year as a freshman in high school.

That summer I worked as hard as possible in the weight room and trying to get faster. I wanted to fulfill my dream and play in the Rose Bowl when I got older. I wanted to get a scholarship and lead my team to the traditional Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. So the summer came to an end and I was ready for my first year of high school football. Working all summer paid off… the first game against Kuna I scored 3 touchdowns and 2 of them were kick returns. The rest of the season I scored an overall 14 touchdowns and had at least 1000 yards. Our team was the best in our conference. We did lose one game to our city rivalry game against Skyview but we won the championship game against Bishop Kelly by 30 points.

This winter and spring I am still working hard and trying to get to my dream. I will always be working hard to improve at my sport. Football is a big part of my life. It pretty much is my life and I have been working all winter long to play my sophomore year. The offseason is where I improve and hopefully that improvement leads me to my dream, playing on January 1st in Pasadena, living my football dream.