Surviving the Island | Teen Ink

Surviving the Island

By joeyfitz17 BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
joeyfitz17 BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan

Surviving the Island

As I woke up with sand on my face I realized 3 things. One, the last thing I remember was my little fishing boat getting capsized by a large wave somewhere off the coast of Hawaii. Two was that I had better find anything I can use to get help and three, my entire backside was incredibly sun burnt. Itching my back, I walked down the shoreline of this unknown island trying to figure out how big it really was and if it was very big, if there were people here. I marked a large line in the sand to identify where I began. I scoured the coast looking for anything that may be of use. When I reached my line, I took inventory of what I was able to find. 1 fishing pole ( very helpful), 3 bottles of fresh water, 5 cans of canned food, a map, compass and a lighter. I knew I would eventually have to enter the middle of the island to look for water, but that could wait.
The first day I spent mostly building a shelter and catching fish. I had to use half a can of corn as bait but was able to catch 10 fish. My shelter was basically a hammock in-between 2 large palm trees about 5 feet off the ground. I also hung large palm tree leaves above my hammock, which was made of sticks, leaves and sand, so that the rain wouldn’t come into my face. I made my first fire on that day also with the lighter and dead twigs with coconut skin as kindling. I ate a delicious meal of 3 fish with a can of peas with half a bottle of water. I will have to make sure I am drinking enough water but also conserving it. I plan on drinking half a bottle per day so they should last me 6 days.
My calendar shows that I have been stranded here for 4 days. I guess it’s not really a calendar but just 4 rocks in the sand. I need to find water soon since I am down to the last bottle. I also need to find more food besides fish and canned food. My last meal consisted of fish, canned fruit and coconut. I probably spent more time trying to open the coconut then catching the fish and eating combined! There have also been some strange things happening lately. Every day I wake up and find something moved. Not a lot but enough that I notice. I think I should explore the innards of this island soon but that can wait until tomorrow.