Florida | Teen Ink

Florida

By daniele young BRONZE, Idk, Illinois
daniele young BRONZE, Idk, Illinois

Somewhere Special
I didn’t know that one cell mutation could have changed my life all together. It started when my three year old sister got Leukemia. When I got the horrible phone call on March 9, 2010 from my grandma saying that my sister was in the hospital and they thought she might die because they didn’t know what was wrong with her. This is how my life got turned upside down.

After six long months of her being in the hospital, she was able to come home. A year later we received a telephone call from the Make-A-Wish Foundation saying that someone would be coming out to visit us and asking my sister what her wish would be. When they came to visit my sister already knew what she wanted. She wanted to go to Disney World and visit all of the princesses. They had told us that we would be staying at a place named Give Kids the World for our week vacation.

Not too long after that we were on our way in a limo to the airport. My sister’s face lit up knowing that she would get to see all the princesses she had watched in her movies in the hospital. What she did not know is that we were going to be eating breakfast in Cinderella’s castle! When we landed in Florida, she got so excited because the man at the car rental had told her that she was going to be able to pick out any car she wanted for us to drive. After picking out the car we started what had felt like the longest car ride ever to Give Kids the World Village. When we got there it was like nothing else I have ever seen. All the buildings were different themes. When we saw our house, we were staying in was castle like. My sister freaked out running up to it saying this is her dream house. When we walked inside it looked like a normal house with three bedrooms and the biggest bathrooms you have ever seen.
After exploring the house the women had to told us about the all you can eat free ice cream shop that was right down the street that was open 24/7. We could go in anytime we want and have as much ice cream as we wanted. Also she had told us about the game room and how it has a merry go round and a whole bunch of other things for the kids. The food was all free and we could also have as much as we want. They had Boston market on site and a really good pizza restaurant. Also as we were walking by to find the restaurants, we saw the two huge pools themed as private ships and a beach theme.

We had gotten passes to all the parks around the area and we had also gotten a $1,500 gift card to spend on food and souvenirs. The left over money we were able to keep when we were done with vacation. Also as a bonus, the parks that we got to cut everyone in line and got to the front of line so that we could ride as many times as we wanted to.

This is the best vacation I will ever have this brought me and my family together after the worst thing that has ever happened to us. I will always remember this trip.

Real life