A Normal Teenager | Teen Ink

A Normal Teenager

April 18, 2013
By Marisol Carreon GOLD, Mundelein, Illinois
Marisol Carreon GOLD, Mundelein, Illinois
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Mom?”

“Yes.”

“My 18th birthday is coming up in a few weeks and since I’ll be an adult, I was wondering if I would be allowed to go out on my own. It’s just that I’ve never gone out before.”

“Where will you go? Is what we give you here not worthy enough that you want to turn to the streets?”

“No, mom, it’s not that! I just want to be normal. I want to have friends I can hang out with.”

“Well, you don’t need to have friends. They aren’t going to help pay your bills when you get grow older; all they will do is lead you down the wrong path.”

“It doesn’t work that way! Everyone needs someone to talk to once in a while. My life is school, home, and work- Every Single Day!”

“Since you aren’t old enough to know about the real world, I don’t want you to make a stupid mistake. Life isn’t all about friends and partying!”

“All I asked was to have more freedom to go out and socialize; I’m not asking to drink at a bar or “go clubbing”! Why don’t you trust me? I finish my chores, I am respectful, AND I am responsible. You say I don't know about the real world- but how will I learn if I’m always home? When I'm 18, you can’t restrain me anymore.”

This was the last straw, Matilda was exhausted. She was done requesting permission-so she had a plan. Once in her room, she received a text from her brother Daniel.

Are you ok? I heard yelling downstairs, but I didn’t want to get be dragged into it.

Sometimes Matilda felt as if he was the only one that understood and saw her point of view on issues.

She replied: I’m fine, same old, same old. I asked for freedom and she said no. It just sucks that I can’t even get out of leave the house on my own.

Yea I know.

And I’m going to I will be 18 soon.

You’re reaching adulthood.

Right, that’s why I’m going to call in sick for work so I can go to the movies with some friends.

Isn't that what she expects from you-to disobey her? You are just proving her right you know.

I know-but I am sick and tired of always asking and her never getting permission, I want to be a regular teenager-at least for a day.
I mean at least I’ve asked for permission out of respect for her.

Okay, well good luck with that.

Thanks.


The next day, Matilda called her friends and they decided to catch a movie. When it was about time she departed from work, Matilda drove home. To her disbelief, she found her mom sitting on the couch waiting for her.

“Where have you been? I called work and they said that you weren’t there.”

"Why did you even call my job?"

"Your phone was off. Now, WHERE WERE YOU?!"

“I went to the movies with friends.”

“Why didn’t you ask me first?”

“Why do you think? I knew you would say 'No' like always! So what’s the point in even trying anymore? I’m sick and tired of begging for you to say, ‘Yes.’”

“The point IS that I was worried sick! I didn’t know where you were or who to call.”

“Look, I don’t want to fight again- I told you if you didn’t give me permission, I would grant it myself.”

“If me not granting you permission is causing you to act out and disobey me then leave-I don’t want to deal with you.”

“So you are giving up on me because I am not following orders? Is that it? When you were younger did you not want to go swim at the beach with your friends? You even told me you snuck out! You said being at home all the time was like being in a prison.”

“It’s not-“

“It IS the same, Mom, that’s how I’m feeling now. All I ask is for you to let me go out sometime. I don’t want to end up alone and friendless for the rest of my life.”

She stormed off.
She has to understand, I know she felt the same way when she was younger. No one can stay at home all their life, sooner or later they have to break free.

The next morning, Matilda got woke up, and went to the kitchen to eat some breakfast. It was Saturday- her day off.

Another day at home...she thought.

As she was eating her cereal, she heard her mom come into the kitchen.

"Morning." She said to her mom, not looking up.

"We need to talk."

"Can I at least finish my cereal first?"

"You can eat it while you listen to me."

"Fine." Great, another lecture… She thought.

"I know it's been hard for you staying at home all the time, but it's for your own benefit. I want to keep you safe from all those crazy people in the streets. There are so many teenage girls drinking and getting raped. I just don't want that to be you-"

"Mom, not everything that you see on the news will happen to me. I will be careful-"

"I'm not finished- the point is, I thought about what you said, about how your Grandma treated me, kind of like how I'm treating you, and I guess it's not fair that I'm keeping you all cooped up. So, I decided to loosen the reins a bit."

"Really?"

"Yes. But on the condition that you will call me to check in every once in a while and be home before 10p.m. or so help me you are going to BE will become a prisoner.”

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“You’re welcome, and I’m sorry, I guess I just needed to see it through your eyes to understand you.”

“It’s ok mom, I forgive you.”