Dear Freshman, This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

It’s all almost over, that little fact inside itself thrills me. No more teasing stares as I misdirect myself down the south hallway, when Mr. Quack’s biology class is off the north, no more pity-heavy glances from the “top dogs” of the school that have a tinge of a heart in their bodies, and no more being treated like lost puppies in a pack of wolves. But in this realization that I will no longer be the cute, oddly envied freshman of the school, I have found myself obligated to leave behind some best wishes advice to the incoming minnows of a ruthless high school pond:

I’m not sure at all how to start this, so I’ll begin my words of wisdom just like anyone would.
Dear incoming freshman,

Here is everything in my mind I could possibly pass on as knowledge to you in hoping that you are slightly less consumed in embarrassment than I was:
Rule #1: Heels are More Pain Than Pretty: At the time, when you are shopping for school clothes and you want desperately to look ten times more mature than you see yourself; then you feel even worse because maybe your best friends have been texting or talking about the inches high stilettos they bought for their very first day: Do not stoop to by heels, or high shoes for that matter to equal your best friend. Your new best friend is called sneakers and they will really have pulled through for you when your best friend is flat on her face on the second flight of stairs and you’re still comfortably trotting to class.
Rule #2: Don’t Be Afraid to Be Daring: Whether it is in clothing style, hairdo, or shocking actions don’t be afraid to wow the masses every once and a while. Wear mismatched clothing when you want, make a hair statement, and don’t be scared to be the life of the party. Those being said don’t push the boundaries to far and always keep a level head- even if it comes extremely hard. Changing it up a bit will guarantee even if it’s only one person that someone will remember you.
Rule #3: Rebel Cautiously: The worst thing you could do is release a full-blown anger bomb on the first weeks of school that will land you in a detention desk. It’s okay to have uncensored teasing among your lunch friends. But there is other more subtle and wittier ways of light rebellion around buddies as well. Throw back a well thought out, wise retort that will leave your opponent speechless. Game over.
Rule #4: A Little Punk Power Never Hurt: By high school your friends have already developed a persona for you; whatever that may be whether it’s the cute one, the smart one, the funny one, or even the punk one. Use your personality as an advantage to find crowds with the same attitude that you are bound to get along with. Sometimes, by just being you and being proud of that, you gain respect from all classes.
Rule #5: Pity is Part of the Party: Upper classmen are sure to look at the “poor wandering freshman” and get a shock of good citizenship by trying to assist the helpless under classmen in the overwhelming life of high school. (It’s not as bad as they all say it is) Use this surprising sudden kindness to your best advantage. Seniors and Juniors will spill the cleanest bathrooms to use, the best ways to be an instant teacher’s pet, or which hallways to stay out of if you warm up to them. This information can be extremely vital to pulling of a successful first year without a hitch.

It’s a new kind of odd, to think my very first year is already over. I fold up the ink stained, crumpled, and make-up smeared scratch paper into the neatest square I can fix; then all I can do is stare at the hollow shell of a locker compartment that I used to own. I try to think of the freshman who will be so unlucky to inherit my locker in the year coming; maybe she will be half cute, half punk like me. I smiled at the beat exterior of the locker and tucked my note scrap in the left corner, just maybe- that freshman may find my advice.

S.S.SplattersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thank You so much for wrting this, as a freshman this will help imensily, and thank goodness you warn of the dangers of high shoes or i would be a goner. Brilliant Writing

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm:
Very fascinating. I was quie move really. 

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm:
Interesting. The format was a bit odd, only because the beginning sounded like an essay rather than a story as you finished it off, but otherwise it was great advice! Very nice. Just watch out for confusing/runon sentences and you'll be great!

Nelu96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 4, 2013 at 4:22 am:
Great work!

JazzyJay said...
May 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm:
Amazing I wasn't exspecting it to be this good. Maybe you can read some of my books. I don't know if there as good as yours but they are books to take a look at.

wannabebrit said...
May 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm:
Thank you I love the constructive comments, they help me to write a lot better!

SleepingDragon58 said...
May 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm:
This piece was really good!

TheMagicCookieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm:
like it! love it! I want some more of it! :P

AngieBomber said...
May 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm:
i loved this it will surely help me when im in highschool next year! i loved how you paused in just the right places! i have always had trouble with some of these thing when schoolscoming up. so this will help me alot!! also next year ill be a freshman!!!  im not sure where you live but if i did i would hope it was near me so i could get that locker! Xp i think i might even fit your discription. 

davidnolan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm:
I thought this was great! Your pacing was great, you showed a good vocabulary, and mixed your sentence structures. The advice, also, was clever and entertaining to read. I like how this was reasonably short- it held my attention for the entire length. The one mistake I found was at the end in the last sentence. The dash is incorrect. If you want the dash, it should really go before "just". Other than that, this was really grammatically clean and clever!