Little Black Submarines - The Black Keys | Teen Ink

Little Black Submarines - The Black Keys

April 15, 2013
By Madam_Nomad GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey
Madam_Nomad GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Art is the Freedom of Expression


Start on a journey. First, start slow - suppress your excitement and wish to move forward, and take it easy. Play it safe. Where would you be if you were alone? You need the people here, the rules and barriers, the life you have lived for so long. The streets laced with blind pedestrians, the dark skyscrapers. You can’t just stand up and leave - the plants need watering, your car needs maintenance soon. What would the office do without out you? One little change can’t make you give up on the world. Not even a broken heart. You need this life. Every bit of it. A little pain can’t change that. You aren’t a child.
Then a little faster. Not quite reckless, but you know the lay of the land, let safety fall to the back of your mind as you are called forward, the mystery drawing you away from something you want to leave behind. What is this feeling, this will to be free? Run through the streets in the dark and rain. The streetlamps call you back, back to your apartment with the cracked green door, back to where she left you standing, alone, as she pulled away in a taxicab, her hair and clothes dull in the orange glow of the dim lights. The whole city seemed to be asleep that night. Everyone but you.

Stop to remember it. Her bright smile and graceful contonance. The way she walked, the bounce in her step. She still looked as though she was walking on springs when she walked away, down the concrete steps in front of your green door, wearing her customary bells that jingled as she moved, stealing away both the love and music from your life. Taking what was yours to give, not giving you a second chance to breathe in the moment. To understand. To feel the pain that would come. It was all just gone in an instant. What were you left with? You have nothing to lose.

Fire fills you and you start running - forget the caution, just keep moving, live the adventure. Swing from trees if that is what you want to do, follow treasure maps, do everything that comes to mind - don’t second guess it, don’t look before you leap, you need to escape. Flee. Be free. Free from that something that is holding you back, blinding your mind, try to forget it - follow the call of the wind and the flow of the river till you reach the end of the world. You don’t need her, them, anything - you don’t need anything but your life and the thrill of moving forward. Don’t look back. Just keep moving, keep living, keep breathing. Life is wonderful if you take it as it comes. Take in the sights and sounds of the world. Pain is just a feeling, it won’t last if you don’t let it. Don’t overthink it. Move on. Move forward. Do what you want. Live dangerously.
You were right to leave. There was nothing left for you there. There was nothing that could be solved by sticking around, waiting for her to come back and haunt your doorstep again, you can’t take the tinkle of her bells again. You won’t take it. You won’t allow the whims of this so called life that you have been comforming to push you around, tell you what is right and wrong, tell you what you should be, how you should act. You SHOULD be how you want to be, taking each moment as it comes. Live as you will. Don’t keep waiting for someone else to narrate your life.
Don’t look back - the voice inside your head is the only company you need. Feel the rain on roll down your back, the cold on your cheeks, the breeze in your hair. You don’t need anything but what you think you do. Keep going. Keep running. Don’t look back until you are completely






satisfied.


The author's comments:
Response to a song