The Shooting | Teen Ink

The Shooting

By pearlJAM_ BRONZE, Gorebridge, Other
pearlJAM_ BRONZE, Gorebridge, Other

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

I gazed into the rectangular mirror that displayed an image of a man I could no longer bear to be and listened to the silence. This was the last time I would be surrounded by such a peaceful entity. Quiet. There was something so beautiful about it. Something powerful. I had never experienced such a calmness is those last precious moments, it was nice to just appreciate the nothingness. In my 18 years of living in a world with endless possibilities, nothing had come close to mimicking the serenity I felt in that gloriously simple moment. After a few minutes of pure awe, I was ready.
As my feet were placed on the ground one after the other, eventually leading me outside the men’s bathroom, I held the future in my pocket with a tight grip to ensure it wouldn’t fall out. One wrong move and my plan could turn to ash. Caution was key. I walked down the halls of the sham of an education centre, and I was surrounded by a sea of people who had no clue what was about to happen to them. The girls conversed about the most irrelevant of things. The boys conversed about the most irrelevant of things. The entire area was drenched in nothing but a superficial entity. The couples flirted with one another, gazing into one another’s eyes with lust that would soon be taken from them. Each too wrapped up in their own shady dimension to have any atom of a clue about what events were about to unfold.
I took the gun out my pocket and fired a shot in the air and my lips formed an illuminated smile. The glorious sound of screams of the innocent echoed around the halls of this shallow high school. I inhaled the sweet noise of fear. The look of horror that spread across their youthful faces was like a drug, fuelling my fury even more. I loved it. I continued to fire and I bathed in the death. There is nothing more enriched with beauty than death. And so I fired more, and more and more, and I enjoyed every second of it. As the magnificent screams that escaped from the mouths of the people I despised to no end, it was like I was listening to a beautiful piece of music for the first time. I was in complete amazement.
For the first time in my life I felt normal. I felt free. This is what freedom is about, not being part of a country with a constitution and three secure branches of government that scrutinise every detail. Freedom is as simple as it sounds; do as you wish, and appreciate every second of it. Nothing in my life was as pure with freedom as this moment. Watching a situation I had only fantasised about for a long period of time come to life. It was a divine dream come true.
And so that was that. I had watched the world burn, and that was all I had ever wanted. I admired the blood that coated the floor like icing on a cake and I had never been so content. The contentment wrapped its arms around me like a mother cherishing a young baby for the first time and I knew it was time to finish the job. I raised my arm and gracefully lay the end of the gun to rest on my head. My eyes wandered around the long, dull hallways and I took one last gaze at the glorious mess I had caused. I pulled the trigger and the blood seeped from my head like a squirting syringe and my body fell to the ground, becoming a part of the art I had just created. Beauty.

Morbid, I know. After looking into the Columbine high school shootings it really got me thinking about what kind of mindset somebody may be in to do such a thing. This eventually resulted in this writing piece, hope you enjoy!