Death Comes in Threes | Teen Ink

Death Comes in Threes

By Nicholle_Ramsey BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Nicholle_Ramsey BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

People believe the lies they want to. They pick and chose fables to follow.“Death comes in threes.” Anyone sane knows it’s bull s***, but those who are desperate find logic in the nonsense. She began to count on her fingers.
Index: The husband of the woman who sits in front of her at church.
Middle: Her boss’ mother.
Ring: Her brother-in-law’s step-sister.
That’s three.
Tragic, she thought, but that thought did not linger long. She was too happy to stay alive.
But wise tales are not as wise as they seem.

We live side by side with death every day. Some embrace it, running the race.
Others cower in constant fear, dying with regrets on their lips.

She took the bus avoiding eye contact with the man she thought lived in a shopping cart. He was used to it, but it still hurt. He was struggling and needed a little attention. Don’t we all.

Judgment is too easy to cast nowadays. One look, one first impression and we are locked in a choking stereotype that is killing us slowly.

When she arrives at work she goes straight to her cubicle avoiding conversations at the coffee pot. She did not have a care for reality TV shows or any sort of TV shows. They distracted from the life she wasn’t living. At 9:05 she knew there were only 28500 seconds left. She sat at her screen refreshing the page, doing nothing until 5 o’ clock hit.

We slide by life, not giving an opportunity our undivided attention, or any attention at all. This is the problem, because in each opportunity is life. Not bland, grey, scheduled life, but a life that is spontaneous and exciting. A life worth living.

At five she goes home and makes one serving of pasta, lights a candle and eats a romantic dinner for one. Sometimes she writes, but lately inspiration is too far. She thinks: Death comes in threes, she is safe, she is safe. This mantra repeats in her head. She is safe. It repeats as she heads upstairs. She is safe. As opens up her nightstand drawer. She is safe. She counts on her fingers once more.
Middle: Holds the gun in place.
Thumb: Steadies it in her shaking wrists.
Index: Coddles the trigger.

Death comes in threes.
1, 2, Bang.

on May. 2 2013 at 3:29 pm
Nicholle_Ramsey BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
I used to hate 3rd person, but it has grown on me.

on May. 2 2013 at 3:28 pm
Nicholle_Ramsey BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks, I really liked the premise of this piece.

on Apr. 7 2013 at 3:22 am
theatregirl PLATINUM, Lathrup Village, Michigan

"To thine own self be true," -from Hamlet, a play by Shakespeare.
"I have sworn on the altar of god eternal hostility against all forms of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I really liked and it was nice and lyrical and very truthful. Keep writing !!!!! :)

on Apr. 6 2013 at 2:45 pm
Autumn-Rain SILVER, West Lafayette, Indiana
That was really good! It was a bit confusing and hard to follow but I liked the ending. I think that if you fixed a few grammatical errors and put in some better transitions it could be amazing...

on Apr. 6 2013 at 1:32 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

WOW. I honestly wasn't that into the story until the ending! What a twist!! Oh good gosh, that was really surprising. I loved it. I also loved your use of third person... I've always tried to write in that POV but it's been harder, not knowing the inner emotions of each character... Watch out for your few grammatical errors!