The Talking Chair This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The chair rests by the fireplace. I can’t remember a time when it wasn’t there. It seems placid, quiet, but full of mystery. I want to know its secret.
It has two curved rockers at the bottom, which cause it to sway sometimes when the wind blows, like the chair is dancing. Maybe it is.
The dark wood finish is in contrast to the rest of the room, which is painted pale white. It makes the chair seem wiser, older, more confident. When I sit beside it (I never sit in the chair) I can smell the musty odor of old wood, but on this chair, it’s intriguing, like foreign cologne.
The wood on the sides is worn where many hands have touched it, over and over. The worn spots are like wrinkles, I think. After all, the chair is very old.
Sometimes, when I sit beside the chair, I imagine it could speak to me- tell me all its secrets and all it has seen and heard in the hundred years of its existence. It shines dark and vivid against the white room, fading into night, and I wonder if maybe, just maybe, one day the chair will open its decorative curlicue and start speaking. But that’s wishful thinking, chairs can’t talk.
Probably.

EvetteT said...
  This is great. Short and interesting. Keep up the good work!!!

Cutey-Beauty said...
May 13, 2013 at 10:18 am
Loved this! Ther'e's a certain air of mystery about the chair that one would naturally want to find out about...and other old things as well. Everything has a story.

TopaztheArticulate replied...
Thanks! Glad you liked it!

FireloverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i like it. you give the chair life and make it a mystery where it came from. very nice :)

Indigo.Loves.Someone replied...
Thanks! :)

GreekGoddessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Awsoem, awsome peice of work. It drew me in right from the begining. Great use of details. I love the last line!

Indigo.Loves.Someone replied...
Me too. XD Thank you!!!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this. It is so short and sweet. I love the probably at the end too. I thought that was a very clever ending.  I rated it 5 stars. :3

IndigoAtHeart replied...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:02 am
Thank you!!!!!!!!!It makes me so happy when people like my work! :)

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved this!! great description

TopaztheArticulate replied...
Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:25 am
Thanks! :D

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:16 am
I liked this a lot! It was very discriptive, and made me feel as if I was really there with the narrator. Very deserving of the Editor's Choice Award. Great work, keep it up!

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:19 am
Thanks! :) I'm so glad people have liked it! This was just a spur-of-the-moment thing for a writing assignment.

KealliiRaycene said...
LOVED IT!!

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:10 am
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is very original. How many people write about chairs? I commend you for writing this story that is not only original but captivating as well; and very well written. And thank you for not fearing your use of many descriptions that come to life and are visible. Too many writers today fear details; I hate that. Well done.

Artgirl1999 replied...
Thanks! I'm really glad you liked it. :)

livebeautifulx3 said...
I love how you took an idea, especially about an ordinary thing, and brought a new perspective to it. I think that's one of the greatest things in writing. Beautiful piece :)

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:53 am
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved reading this- it was very mystifying and intriguing. The descriptions and imagery were perfect! I love how you posed questions about how maybe chairs have human qualities/personalities. Very unique, and Ur VERY talented :P