Only A Game | Teen Ink

Only A Game

By srhersco BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts
srhersco BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts

We jump from the copter and land heavily on the roof of the abandon building. We slide through the skylight and enter the first of the rooms. We hurry down the stairs and are greeted by a spray of bullets.I crouch behind the wall sheltering myself from the spray. Robert, bolder than I, runs out into the open and shoots the two men hitting each one accurately, one in the chest, the other his right temple. I look away when they I see that they have fallen. I try not to look as I step over the bodies left on the cold, hard cement floor.

We approach a slim doorway in which the door is missing. He enters the room and I see the men inside. They shoot rapidly and he quickly uses his last five bullets. However, anyone who thinks that this would stop him does not know my brother. He furiously goes after the other men, taking them on. He knows what they are capable of, and this is not the first time he has been through this.
He quickly knocks out the first two men with simple, mindless attacks. However, the third is more skilled. Robert brings up his foot, hitting the man square in the jaw. To his surprise, the man recovers after the blow and grabs his foot, knocking him off his balance. Robert, being skilled in this art, quickly gets up, feeling no pain--not to mention mercy--and throws a stream of perpetual punches, and the man is quickly knocked out.

“Come on,” he says, a little to casually. I reluctantly follow him down the hall to the next room. We pass other rooms, their doors closed, and I wonder what would happen if we entered them. He must know, and that’s why he doesn't. I just continue quietly and try to keep up.

We come to a stairwell. He pauses for a moment, which is unlike him. Then he notices the time and hurries up the stair. I run after him. I have never been a great athlete but I am not out of breath, and of course I don’t feel tired. We approach the doorway and he barges in. But we are not alone. There was someone waiting for us.

My brother throws the first punch, but it is easily blocked. Then he is slammed onto the floor. He gets up filled with fury, but no matter how many emotions are inside of him, his adrenaline will not go up. He continues, gets up and does a kick, and this time he is successful. The man is knocked back into the bare, white, wall. The man gets up and pushes off the wall. His elbow makes contact with Robert’s neck, and then he goes flying backwards, hitting the wall and sliding to the floor. Robert remains on the floor unarmed, defeated. Then he looks over at me. I see the fire in his eyes. He has fought this man many times before and now I am his secret weapon. I now hold the power. I hold the gun.

“Use your gun,” he says as a command, not a suggestion. “I’m out of bullets. Do it!”

“What?.”

“Shoot him!”

“What did he do?”

“What are you talking about, just shoot him.”

“But why? What did he do?”

“Come on we have...”. He looks up to the right. “We have exactly two minutes and 45 seconds. And this isn't the only room we have to visit.”

“But why must I shoot him?”

“Because he is the bad guy and we are supposed to. Why is this so hard for you to understand?” But he’s the one who doesn't understand. He’s the one who would just shoot. He’s the one who would kill.

“Shoot him!” He yells, and then he is upon me. I don’t even try to struggle; he is three years older and at least twice my size. He throws me down and my jaw hits hard. My teeth come up and dig into my lip. Then I taste blood.

“Give it to me!” he yells, and then grabs it out of my hands. The thing that holds ultimate control.
He gets up and holds up the gun, ready to shoot. At this point the man’s eyes should be full of tears. He should be begging for mercy. Crying at my brother’s feet, talking about how he has children to care for, and a mother who loves him. But he doesn't. Why would he? That would makes us feel sad for him, which is the last thing they want.

He doesn't even hesitate. He just aims, then pulls the trigger, killing the man because he is supposed to. The man then falls, but there is no blood. There is no gore.

Then everything goes black.

White words break through the darkness: Level must be completed in seven minutes. Press A to restart.