a life lost is a life found | Teen Ink

a life lost is a life found

"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth." A quote once stated by George Burns were the thoughts going through my mind the night I drove drunk three years ago and hit a family killing a young child and the mother of the family, leaving one child injured and the father in the hospital. The night of my accident I went to a party at a friend's house and I wanted to leave and go home: however, my designated driver did not want to leave. So I took it on myself to drive home. The awful events which took place after one bad decision have changed my life forever.

After the accident I was arrested and charged with two counts of manslaughter and OWI placing me in jail for a minimum of twenty five years. I now understand the consequences of drunk diving and I hope all of you are aware of the effects drunk driving can cause to not only your body but to others. some of the effects alcohol has on the brain are damage to the frontal lobes of the brain, an overall reduction in brain size and increase in the size of the ventricles, and alcohol may lead to alcoholism (addiction to alcohol). With the previous information stated, alcohol causes harm to not only you, but others around you.

My experience with alcohol and drunk driving has place me in a situation I hope none of you experience because I am devastated I took a life away from two innocent people who had a good amount of their lives ahead of them. I am truly sorry to those hurt and to the families of the two people whose lives I had taken! I began speaking to young students because statistics show alcohol is affecting people at a younger age than ever before. Take my experience as a life lesson and call someone sober for a ride if you have previously drank alcohol that night, do not drink and drive you could take your life or even worst someone else's and have to live with the regret and pain the rest of your life.