Lockout | Teen Ink

Lockout

By Gresham Olson BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Gresham Olson BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

“And Kevin Durant hits the game winning shot to win the NBA championship,” I said. I am the leading journalist and reporter for ESPN. My area of expertise is the NFL and the NBA. I played both as a kid and when I went to high school. Then I decided to not play sports but report on them. Journalism became my sport. I started with football. I became really good and I knew that I wanted to be a reporter.

My job isn't that hard. I go to NBA and NFL games and report it to ESPN and write my column. If I’m not doing that, I usually take photos. I learned early the tricks behind the camera so I could better understand having the camera on me.

I was walking to my Camero yesterday morning and I thought it was going to be a good day. It turned out that this day could be the end of my career. I heard some people flagrantly arguing on the radio but my commute was too short to find out why.

I got into the studio and my intern handed me my preview of the day’s events and news. I saw in big bold letters “ NFL Lockouts Could Cause Trouble for ESPN Studios.” I was shocked. “How could my favorite sports be locked out?” I uttered.
I could see it now. Me, alone in a disgusting apartment with no wife and a warm Bud Light. My electricity gets pulled as the TV shuts off in the middle of MTV Cribs because I lost my job. My wife left because I couldn't pay the bills.

I couldn't let that happen. I made it my personal mission to settle the disputes between managers and players. First I had to tackle the football lockout. I am a big Lions fan and even if they don’t win much, I couldn't bare to go a Sunday without them. Conveniently enough, the biggest player leading the lockout was Matthew Stafford.

I called Matt right away. “what's up Matt, how’s the off season treating ya?” I said “Good man, this lockout is kicking my butt. I wanna play but I need to play for the right amount, feel me?” he said. “ I do but unless you are willing to negotiate, then this whole thing is just a big mess.” I said. He replied with “ I guess you're right but I don’t want to go into the conference room without you. It’s a little scary.” “ Sounds good bud, text me when you get a time to sit down with the managers.” I said as the conversation ended.

This was the moment when I knew that if this meeting actually happened, I would still have a job. I was now devoted to figuring out what the players wanted and finding a happy medium with the managers. I decided to meet with one of the other players who was heading this lockout.
“Hey Troy, hows this lockout feeling? You staying in shape?” I started. “ Ugh, I can’t wait to get back on the field. I am trying to stay in shape but it’s hard since I can’t use the team facilities. I essentially have to work out on my own, that can be tough.” He replied “Yeah but you gotta make time everyday. I know this lockout is tough on everybody so I wanna do what I can to solve it. I already have Matt ready to meet, I just need to hear from you what the players want.” I said. “ Well Greg it’s simple. The players want what we deserve. We play all these games and put our body on the line every Sunday. We just feel that we should earn more for what we do.” “I understand that but it is never going to happen unless we figure out a good increase price and introduce it to the managers.” I stated. “ That’s true. Well speaking for the players we all deserve a 2 million dollar increase in their salary.” He said. “ Well, that’s a lot but I will draw up a rough contract and we will see if we can get this done.” I said as the conversation ended.

There was the conference room. I was at the end of the hall in my gray, slick, Armani suit. I had my briefcase in hand, and inside was the contract that was heavily edited. It was a contract that gave the players a 1.5 million dollar increase in their salary. I didn’t know if the managers were going to except it. Then around the corner came the managers and they all had a stern look on their face as they walked into the conference room. I was nervous. I started to sweat like a dog but I put on my Old Spice Swagger this morning so I was covered. two hands hit each of my shoulders. I turned around to see who was there and it was Matt and Troy. I was glad they were with me because it would be hard for me to get the deal done without a representative of the players.

We started to walk into the conference room and Matt mumbled in my ear “ here we go.” We sat down on the other side of the long table. There was three older, intimidating men on the other side. I set my briefcase on the floor and started to greet them. “ Hello, My name is Greg and I am one of the agents for the players. I also work for ESPN as a NFL official reporter. I am here on behalf of most of the NFL players and I have a contract for you that will end the lockout.” “Greg, we are both men who know something about business. I know you know that these players are deserving but this is just outrageous.” The head manager said as he slid the contract back across the table. “ I am as much of a fan of money as you but you need to understand something. I plan to take these players and run the NFL out of popularity if that is what it takes. I might loose my job and these players might get bored but without them, you have nothing. Without the players, there is no fantasy football, there is no record breaking, and there sure as heck isn't any fans on Sunday. You want fans and revenue but the fans come to see the players play, not the managers get greedy. If you don’t accept this offer of a 1.5 million increase, The players will lockout for the rest of the season. I work for ESPN and I know what people will talk about. They won’t say the players are greedy because we can release their salaries. People will see them and then realize that you are the greedy bad guys. You know about running a business so I suggest you take the offer.” I said. The room got quiet. Troy and Matt were still wondering if that had just happened. I sat down and slid the contract back over to the managers who had a stunned look on their face. They had realized my point. The head manger reached in his jacket and pulled out a pen. He signed it with swiftness and sent it back to me. I had a sigh of relief as I looked at the signature. I knew that my job and the player’s was secure.