learning to ride my bike | Teen Ink

learning to ride my bike

March 6, 2013
By Aracely SILVER, Grove, Oklahoma
Aracely SILVER, Grove, Oklahoma
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was only five when I broke my arm and foot. I had to be on crutches for a very long time with a sling on my arm, I was riding my bike. I was so happy to be riding my bike by myself without training wheels. I had been working on this for about a year when all of a sudden I heard:

“ Aracely, stop look out,” Mom said.

I look back as I hear my mom screaming at me, thinking why is she yelling that way? All of a sudden I heard a rumbling sound and a honk. I remember feeling my face hit the hard concrete. After that I did not know anything. When I woke up, I was in the hospital. I saw a lot of balloons and flowers everywhere.

I asked my mom, “Mom, what happened? I don’t remember anything, and my body hurts so much”.

She said, “ You were on your bike and a car came up from behind and knocked you off of your bike.”

I understood then why my body was so sore. Finally I got to come home with a broken leg and a sling on my arm. I was very glad to come home, though, and I gave thanks to God because it was only my arm and leg that were hurt. I could have been killed.

After six months I was ready to get back on my bike and start all over again. I was a little scared, but I knew I had to overcome my fear and just be more careful. My mom was always worried about me. when I would go ride my bike she would say,

“ Aracely, you need to be careful!”

I would always say, “ Mom, I know, I will be careful.” it always irritated me for her to be so protective . I had already learned from what had happened. I didn’t need her to be telling me all the time that I had to be careful. Of course I was little and didn’t really understand that all she was doing was trying to keep me safe. I remember one time I asked her why she always had to tell me to be careful.

“ I care about you and I don’t want anything to happen to you, ” she said.

“ Yes, Mom, but I don’t need you to be telling me all the time,” I said.

“ Ok, just understand why I do it,” mom said.

I finally did understand, and I told her I was sorry for being mad at her for that. It was a stupid reason to get mad at her. I was little, though, and didn’t really understand why she did it. When I am older and have my own kids, I will fully understand what it is like to be a mom and have full responsibility over someone else. I hope I will be the best mom, just like my mom has been for my brothers and me.