What the Hell is Beauty? | Teen Ink

What the Hell is Beauty?

By SilverWordSmith GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana
SilverWordSmith GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana

I have a question! -Myself

The idea of beauty is universal. It can be pronounced dozens of ways in hundreds of dialects. It can be used to describe just about anything. It can refer to the “ideal” human physique, something in Nature, a building or city, a work of art or a well written poem, even an entire era of our history.
But, what the Hell is beauty?
Some would use this, somewhat, clichéd word when describing something of enlightenment, luminescence, and brilliance. Something pure and angelic; such as the Sistine Chapel’s fresco, which depicts Heaven, Creation, and Man, which has brought us warmth and emotion for hundreds of years.
But, what about that of the dark and mysterious; the macabre. The aureate works of Edgar Allan Poe are often considered beautiful classics, albeit they all delineate along the lines of murderous and diabolical nightmares.
Some may say that something new and perfect may be considered beautiful; such as a newborn baby or a masterpiece of architecture like the Empire State Building or even the entire New York skyline.
However, a volcano can be thought of as beautiful as well; even though many are millions of years old and are as devastatingly destructive as a nuclear bomb.
And, of course, beauty can describe a person of physical, sexual allure; yet, around the world the description of corporeal beauty varies from continent, to county, to individual.
Conversely, what about inner beauty; meaning someone may be considered ugly on the outside, but can have a radiant and unique emotional side.
To go even further, some can consider themselves beautifully unattractive or normal looking. Someone that can see that physical beauty can be more than just perky breasts, wash-board abs, and big eyes.
So, as you should be able to tell, beauty can denote on that of luminosity, purity, and brilliance as well as the enigmatic, sinister, and obscure. But, I wonder, to you, what the Hell is beauty.

random =)