rough draft | Teen Ink

rough draft

By paige mitchell BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
paige mitchell BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Rough draft.
Collins looked out the window as the rain came down. The drops in an endless race on the window. The wind blew the trees with just enough force to make the leaves flutter. The grey sky reflected her mood but the rain over all made the car ride relaxing.
“Why does it always seem to rain at the sad moments in life?” she thinks to herself. All the movies have it, the rain pours down during a fight or a funeral. All she could feel right now was that this whole trip was pointless. Her mom is sick and yet her dad has the great idea that he needs to see her and her sister now. Not to mention the fact that her mom agreed and now their aunt was driving them down to see him.

The roads through the city were busy and people were rushing just like most cities do. Her dad didn’t live in the city, which was a bonus in Collins book. Collins enjoyed New York and Chicago but she always loved life just outside the hustle and bustle. Her mom had a beautiful house. It was small with a lot of land. White on the outside, with black shutters, and a porch perfect for reading at night. The inside was a bit of a squeeze but that’s how they grew up so it never truly bothered her. Collins remembered the last night she was there the breeze of summer was just right. As she read her book with a glass of tea by her side and Sammy running to catch fireflies. Her mom was still well enough to walk around with her and help catch the fireflies. At that moment Collins was content.

“Are we there yet?” Sammy asked their aunt from the back.
“I was wondering when I was going to hear that.” Was all her aunt said in response.
Sammy just turned ten yesterday and now that she was the big one zero she thought she knew everything and was beaming from ear to ear everyday. Collins always wondered how her sister kept that smile on her face all the time. Her theory is that she’s smiled for so long that it finally got stuck there. She smiled the whole trip with a look in her eyes that showed nothing short of excitement. Her eyes never left the window, and her smiled through all her questions. However her theory fell short once Sammy stops smiling and finally falls asleep.

Of course fifteen minutes later they reached the small beach side cabin where their dad lived. Collins got out slowly and sluggishly then went over and gently shook her sister and next thing you know Sammy jumped out of her seat and ran straight into her dad’s arms. It’s funny how she can be “daddy’s princess” without even seeing him. Collins took her time getting the bags and when she looked at the cabin she let out
“Hey dad.” Collins said as she passed him and took her bags in. She promised to be nice for Sammy’s sake.
“Hey sweetheart. How was the trip?”
“It was fine but I think I’m going to walk the beach to stretch out.” Collins was gone before he had a chance to respond. She didn’t know what bothered her about her dad. He never yelled or cursed. He tried to be friendly and talk to her but she never want to let her guard down. She figured that it was better to just make him a stranger. She would be gone by the end of the summer for college and by then it would not matter.