Always and Forever | Teen Ink

Always and Forever

By Shelby13 BRONZE, Grimes, Iowa
Shelby13 BRONZE, Grimes, Iowa

Brooke and I have been best friends since we were born. We went everywhere together. If we were apart, we would text or call each other. During class we would write each other notes, and at the end it would say, “Best friends always and forever,” but one day that would all change.
School just got out for summer and Brooke and I were racing to the Ice Cream Shop, which was only a few blocks away from the school. The hot June sun was beating down on our faces making sweat drip down our cheeks. We finally got to the ice cream shop and swung open the door feeling a cool breeze blow across our faces.

“Hello, girls,” called Mr. Jameson, the guy who owned the place.

“Hello,” we called breathless from running.
“What would you girls like?” said Mr. Jameson
“Triple chocolate fudge, please,” we said at the same time then burst out laughing.
“All right, girls, just give me a few minutes,” said Mr. Jameson.
Once we got our ice cream we sat and talked about our upcoming plans for the summer and how much fun we were going to have. Little did I know those plans were never going to happen.
It was a normal Sunday morning here in Atlanta, Georgia. The sun was shinning and it was nice and cool. My family and I got up and went to church like we normally did on Sunday’s and went over to my grandma and grandpa’s house to have breakfast with them and talk. About an hour after we got there, my mom had to take a phone call. When she came back into the room her face was completely white as if she had seen a ghost. I knew something was up right away. Mom told us we needed to leave right now because something had happened at home. When we got in the car, I kept asking her what was wrong, but she would say that something bad happened and we needed to get home right away. I thought it was a little thing that my mom was freaking out about because she does that a lot, but when she got another phone call, she broke down in tears and told my dad to pull over. I was really worried then because my mom doesn’t cry like that. When my dad pulled over, my mom got out and told me what had happened. She told me that Brooke had died in a very bad car accident. At first I didn’t believe her, but then I looked into her eyes and I knew it was true. I couldn’t believe my best friend in the whole world was gone. I just stood there speechless. I didn’t know what to do or what to think. After I stood there for a while I burst into tears. My mom told me that it was going to be okay, and that we were going to go see Brooke’s family. On our way to the hospital to see Brooke’s family, I just looked out the window and thought about life without my best friend. Soon enough, we were at the hospital going to see Brooke’s family and see Brooke before they take her to the funeral home. I wasn’t ready to go see Brooke yet. I was afraid of what she might look like and what her family was going to say, but when I got there, they all hugged me and told me she was going to be in a better place. When we were in the room where we could look at Brooke, I just broke down looking at her. My mom decided to take me home so I could get some sleep. I didn’t sleep very well that night. I would dream about Brooke and the things we used to do together. When I woke up in the morning and couldn’t get back to sleep, I decided to ask my mom how Brooke died and what she died from. My mom didn’t want to tell me because she didn’t think I would be able to handle it, but I told her I needed to know. So she told me that they were driving home from church and they were going through a green light when someone ran a red light and hit the car on the side. She said Brooke flew out of the car and smacked her head on the ground and she had broken a couple of bones. They got her to the hospital and said she only had a couple of hours left to live due to her brain swelling and that there was nothing they could do about it. At that point I couldn’t bear to hear anymore so I ran up to my room and cried. I finally fell asleep and had a horrible dream about the car accident that Brooke was in. I woke up screaming and crying. My mom came in and told me everything was going to be alright. The next days went by in a blur; I slept and slept and slept trying to forget this ever happened. The next thing I knew I was getting ready for Brooke’s funeral. I was the hardest thing I ever had to do; seeing my best friend lie there, lifeless. After the funeral my mom took me home and I went to my room to look at pictures of Brooke and I together. As I was looking through the pictures I was forgetting about the sadness and started remembering the happy times that we spent together. I looked at a picture of us together and remembered Brooke’s smile. It could light up the whole world. Even if you were having the worst day of your life she could make you laugh and smile. I also remembered her long strawberry blonde hair and her big blue eyes. She was the best friend that anyone could ask for. I went to bed that night not crying that Brooke was gone but smiling because of all the good times I had with her. I had a dream last night that that I was sitting in my room looking at pictures of Brooke and I was crying. Then I swore I could hear her voice telling me something but I couldn’t make out what she was saying. I tried so hard to hear what she was saying but I couldn’t. Then I felt someone shaking me and I turned around but no one was there.
I was screaming and crying “Brooke, Brooke where are you?” “Please come back, Brooke.” When I woke up I was cradled in my mom’s arms while crying and shaking. My mom was stroking my hair telling me everything was fine.
“No it’s not mom,” I cried.
“She was trying to tell me something and I scared her away she will never come back.” I cried even harder this time.
“Its ok honey, it was just a dream everything is ok,” said my mom, trying to calm me down.
“No mom it’s real.” I cried.
My mom stroked my hair and sang me songs until I eventually went to sleep. I slept through the rest of the day and half of the next. When I woke up I realized that it was Brooke’s birthday. I wanted to do something for her in her honor, but I had no idea what to do. I talked to my mom about it and she told me that I should get balloons in her favorite colors and get something small that could tie to the balloons and release them in the air. I decided I would do that. So once I was ready my mom took me to the store and I got Brooke some green, red and blue balloons because those were her favorite colors. I also got her a little keychain that said dance on it because she told me she always wanted it. When I got home I made little notes and tied them to the balloons. The notes said “Best Friends Always And Forever.” At 5:36pm, which was when Brooke was born, I let the balloons go. I looked up at the sky and saw the balloons flying up, higher and higher. The thought that Brooke would get these up in heaven put a huge smile across my face. For once since Brook died I was actually happy. That night when I went to bed I was happy. I had the same dream again that I had a couple nights ago, but this time I could actually hear what she was saying.
“I’m sorry I left you,” “I wasn’t planning on it, but don’t worry I’m up in heaven and I miss you a lot.” “Just always remember Best Friends Always And Forever.” After I had that dream I changed how I was living. I went to Brooke’s grave everyday and before I leave I would always say “Best Friends Always And Forever.” I know Brooke is always with me know matter where I am or what I am doing. After Brooke’s death I realized that you need to appreciate the things and people that come into your life because one day God might decide he needs them back in Heaven and you won’t see them for a while. So just remember to live life to the fullest and always put smiles on people’s faces like Brooke would always do.
Oh, and one thing I forgot to say to Brooke; Best Friends Always And Forever.