Birthday Surprise (Ransom #4) | Teen Ink

Birthday Surprise (Ransom #4)

February 17, 2013
By AshleyDrake PLATINUM, Indian Trail, North Carolina
AshleyDrake PLATINUM, Indian Trail, North Carolina
35 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I love you like this because I do not know any other way to love - Pablo Neruda, Sonnet 17


The girl nervously walks in the institute. Visiting her brother, Ransom Cadwell, on his 16th birthday, amber Cadwell makes her way to the visiting room. Ransom’s face lights up with joy as his sister walks in. he runs to embrace her. Amber returns the hug, and sits down to talk to him.
“Ransom, how’s it going?
“Boring,” is his answer. “No one knows me, but soon, oh soon, they will.”
Panic fills Amber’s voice as she frantically asks, “Ransom, what did you do?”
He silently counts down on his fingers. At 3, Amber runs towards the guard, but it is too late. An explosion rocks the building before she can warn anyone. Smoke is everywhere, and Amber is unconscious. Realizing the magnitude of what he has done to his sister, he runs and lifts her from the floor. Burning beams are collapsing everywhere. One strikes his sister’s forehead, damaging her further. Ransom is filled with panic and fury as he races to get her out. He barely makes it out alive. As the EMTs come, he grips his sister close. She is hardly alive, and as he relinquishes her to the paramedics, he sees news crews beginning to arrive. He plans what he will do or say as he tries to follow his sister. As the crews unload, he is restrained by the police. Seeing a mic available, he whispers, “I said I would be known.”