Police Problems | Teen Ink

Police Problems

February 6, 2013
By McEvoyJa BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa
McEvoyJa BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa
1 article 13 photos 2 comments

A fun night hanging out with friends can quickly turn into a scary experience. It was a Friday evening in early August of 2012 and some of my friends and I were driving around town “spreading happiness.” Spreading happiness is when we go out around town and give people sticky notes with positive messages on them. On our way home from our fun, we were a few blocks away from my house when I suddenly saw police lights flashing behind me. I was scared so I immediately pulled over to the side of the road. My passengers were scrambling in the backseat to make sure they were buckled up. The policeman came to my window with a flashlight in his hand. He asked what I had been doing and where I was going. I answered, “Just driving home.” He then said, “I pulled you over because you didn’t make a complete stop at the last stop sign and your license plate light is out.” He shined his light in the backseat and noticed four people in the backseat; one of them was not buckled up. He asked me for my license and it took me five minutes to find it because I was so nervous! As the policeman went back to his car, my friends in the backseat said it was their fault I got pulled over, but I knew that it was my fault and they were just trying to make me feel better. My heart was pounding. I was wondering if I was going to get a ticket and what my parents were going to think if I did. The policeman came back to my car and said, “I’m not going to give you a ticket but you need to be more careful.” When I got home I told my parents and they told me to be more careful and that I had been lucky. I learned a valuable lesson about driving that night. Even though being pulled over was a nerve-racking event, we still had a good time. I still share laughs with my friends about the terrifying experience.