The Outsider | Teen Ink

The Outsider

January 17, 2013
By Ciearrac3 BRONZE, Brookfield, Georgia
Ciearrac3 BRONZE, Brookfield, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don’t ever forget the moment you began to doubt, transitioning from fitting in to standing out. -Aubrey Graham


The sun glistened across my face as my dog jumped on me licking my face trying to wake me up for school. I laid there for a few minutes until I felt that I was ready to go on through the rest of the day. I slowly got up and stretched as I climbed from the top bunk and hit my head.

I grabbed my outfit I had hanging half way off the edge of the bunk bed. I slid on my bedroom slippers, used the bathroom, and headed down stairs. My mom was already on the job, she had just started taking the waffles out the waffle maker. I slowly made my way to the fridge and took out my grape juice.

“Are you ready for your big day?” my mom out of the blue randomly asked.

“I guess…,” I nervously replied knowing I was clearly lying but also putting the top back on the juice, “why did we even move down here? I mean all my friends were up in Connecticut,” I sat down slowly with my waffles as she kept talking. “I mean honestly, I don’t know anyone down here at all.”

“I just felt like we needed…you know, a fresh start,” she said faking a smile and reading her book. “Just don’t forget to brush your teeth Sophia.”

I made an ugly face and ran upstairs to brush my teeth and grab my book bag. I ran back downstairs and gave my mom a kiss and headed out the door.

I slowly got on the bus as everyone stared at me. Why was I the one that had to feel out of place? Everyone kept looking back at me as if they were owls or something, I could see them out the corner of my eyes. Every time I looked up or they thought I was, they turned away. I put my earphones in as if I didn’t even notice anything at all.

As we pulled up to the school, I put my hoodie on and made my way to the front of the bus trying my best to blend in with everyone else. I observed the school from a distance as soon as I got off the bus; this was going to be a long year. I slowly walked into the school. As soon as I got in there everyone started looking at me. I didn’t even bother to look up as I made my way to my class until the teacher stopped me at the door.

“Well I don’t think I remember seeing you in this class,” he said as a big white smile spread across his face as quick as anything I’ve ever seen.

“No sir, I just moved here, I’m Sophia,” I said as she shook his hand and went inside the classroom.

The class had went by pretty fast, maybe it was cause I wanted to get out of there so much, because as soon as I knew it, it was lunch time. I headed to the lunch room with my lunch and looked around for a seat, there was none. I tried not to make myself noticeable even though it was kind of hard because I was already new. I quickly made my way to the hall. I couldn’t think of anywhere to eat my lunch so I slowly slid down against the wall and ate my lunch as everyone passed by staring hard at me. A few people came by and asked me my name but after that they just left and went on about their business; the others just walked around with their smart comments but I didn’t pay much attention to that. I sat there and ate wondering if this was how my year was going to be.

As the bell rung I left the tray in the hall way and moved away quickly before anyone noticed it was me siting there alone with the tray. I headed to the office and told them I didn’t feel good. Fifteen minutes later my mom came to pick me up, she didn’t say anything to me so I turned the radio up the whole ride home. As soon as we got home I went to my room and stayed there the rest of the day and night.

The next day, I got ready for school and skipped everything but lunch. I sat in the same place I did the day before. A girl with long brown curly hair came to my table and talked to me. Every time she spoke she grinded her fingers through her curly locks.

“I always see you sitting out here by yourself, what’s your name?” she asked looking around to make sure she wouldn’t get in any trouble.

“Sophia, Sophia Johnson.”

“I’m Angel Harris. You should come and chill with us in the lunch room, isn’t it kind of boring out here?”

“I guess,” I picked up my tray and made my way to her table. I introduced myself and quickly fit myself in with everyone and walked back to class with Angel and her sister.

The rest of the day went okay I guess. I didn’t really know anyone in the bus; I didn’t really want to know them actually, so I took out my earphones again and looked out the window the whole ride home. When I got home, I turned the TV on and went straight for the music channels and blasted the music dancing around like a fool. Out of nowhere there was a knock on the door it was Angel. She gave me the work the teacher gathered for me from the day I had stayed out.

They came in and we ordered pizza and waited for my mom to get home. Maybe I was wrong, I could make the best out of this move, even though I still miss my old friends; but that’s what cell phones are for.


The author's comments:
life related