Rhapsody | Teen Ink

Rhapsody

January 29, 2013
By novelist95 BRONZE, N/a, Virginia
novelist95 BRONZE, N/a, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Rhapsody

In the distance, far off in the distance, the mollifying hum of a thousand sirens weaves golden threads of blissful resonance into my mind, numbing the cold daggers of nostalgic memories that linger in the pool of my existence. I can feel a slight tug at my consciousness. A blanket of warm tranquility is unfolding around me, encompassing me in a cloud of silence. From my eyes, nothing but the silhouette of seemingly familiar presences exists. Cold tears shake me ever so slightly from my transfixed state of enlightenment, but I cannot wriggle free from the clutches of utter satisfaction. An insurgence of remembrance invades the white nothingness that coats my consciousness, playing both forwards and backwards a cinematic depiction of my past. Floating in the vast wasteland of nothingness, I reach out for the bittersweet memories that plague my soul. Never before had I felt this sensation. So far away, but just close enough to tantalize me; the images dance mockingly, provoking me to come forward.

Suddenly, a pebble of intense pain shatters the still surface of my consciousness. A feverish melody of shrill wails echoes through my bones. A searing heat melts away the white serenity. I can taste the cold steel scorpion barb that has lodged itself into my forearm. Its venom circulates through my blue veins, arousing the sins that lay dormant within the confines of my mind. I can no longer see the dancing shadows in the distance. All around me, red walls form, creating a maze of reconciliation. Only a single path awaits me. Ahead of me, an eternal darkness stirs. From within the shadows, the wails of the eternally damned draw me in. Their extended hands beg for my acceptance.

Once again, I feel a slight tug at my chest. The crescendo of unearthly screams combats the comforting hum of the harp. I turn my back towards the beckoning hands of the cursed. The joyful vibration of the harp drowns out the wails of the forgotten souls. I strain my eyes at a flicker of light that hovers at the end of the red wall pathway. I struggle against the force that pulls me from behind. The sound of the harp suddenly falls short of my deaf ears. The wails of damnation surround me. I lose my grip on the ground and fall effortlessly through the air towards the oblivion that awaits me. I never lose sight of the light as it bobs up and down as if bidding me farewell. I am filled with an urgent sense of trepidation. With one last exertion of my strength, I lurch forwards toward the light, but the pitch black hands receive me, ripping my clothes from my body. The taste of steel is omnipotent in my mouth. My existence slowly fades away as I drift into an abyss of paralyzing hopelessness. I can still see the light. As if by God’s will, the light surges forward towards me. My eyes slowly begin to shut as my body grows numb.

A single spark of light falls through the nothingness, descending through the limitless void of damned souls. I open my eyes slightly and lift my chin towards the opening in the pit above me. The single orb of light is erupting outwards like a firework sending sparks of the light down through the pit, illuminating the darkness. The harp of divine serenity engages in a soothing rhapsody of lofty notes. A single arm reaches out from the orb of light. It’s covered in an eggshell white sleeve with paint strokes of golden stitching that ascend upwards towards the single mass of floating light. It takes hold of my body, tearing me from the claws of the damned. I am swept up through the darkness and launched into the air. At first, I close my eyes, fearful of what may lie ahead. A gentle breeze caresses my body as I continue upwards. Suddenly, I no longer feel the sensation that I am flying. The tugging at my chest is greater than ever before. I can no longer taste the steel on my tongue. I can taste the creamy texture of my mother’s handmade ice-cream, a sweet serenade of melting vanilla. I can smell a fresh batch of cookies in the distance. My heart is light, freed from the burden of my sins. I can hear the plucking of the harp ahead of me. In my hands, I can feel a cool, cotton-like texture. It is light and frothy as I finger through the cloud, cleansing my hands of the cycle of evil iniquities that were once practiced upon me. Deep inside of me, a child-like thrill stirs, restoring my youthful innocence that was stolen away by the harsh realities that tarnish the world.

A man is standing before me with tall and broad shoulders, welcoming me with a comforting smile. He isn’t much older than me. The creases in his skin are only freshly formed. A hazel river of intertwined hair flows graciously down the perimeter of his chest, contrasting the purity of his robe. His eggshell white robe is hand-stitched, painted in gold seams. It is the same man that pulled me away sins. I open my mouth to speak, but his divine presence chokes me of my words. He takes a single step towards me, piercing my soul with an intense euphoria and motions for me to take his hand in mine. He snaps his coriaceous fingers. A single heavenly tone is emitted, calling upon a giant doorway of incandescent gold. The man escorts me forward at a leisurely pace, each step cleansing my soul further and further. In a moments passing, we reach the colossal doors the stand in our pathway. The man places his hand on the gold, unlocking the door with a rapturous whisper that whistles through my hair. The gate opens and a conflagration of holy light greets me, wrapping me in a veneer of seraphic radiance. It is warm against my face. The man brings his mouth close to my ear. I can feel his smooth beard rub up against my bald cheek.

“Be free my son.”

Inside the door I see my mother. She is dressed in a white apron. She awaits me with a fresh batch of cookies and a bowl of vanilla ice-cream on the granite countertop beside her. My father’s hand rests on her farthest hip. Their smiles greet me.

“I am home.”


The author's comments:
This piece explores the time gap between physical death and the afterlife. What are some interpretations of how the narrator came to his death?