The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

By jordinrai BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
jordinrai BRONZE, Pasco, Washington

A day in the city park for a photographer named Jessica is full of taking pictures of the scenery and the kids playing. It is early spring and the pictures are turning out great. Jessica is an amateur photographer, she’s not professional, but she wishes she will be one soon enough. As of now this is her side hobby. Jessica loves taking pictures of everything, but prefers the outdoor pictures because the lighting is better.

Jessica has a family that she loves dearly. A husband John and two kids, Penelope whose 6 and Andrew whose 10. John, Penelope and Andrew aren’t very excited about Jessica and her pictures, considering she practices her new picture settings on them all the time. They do support her however, and whatever makes her happy. Every day Jessica goes to different parks and places to capture different images after everyone is off to school and work. This morning John had to go into work early, so Jessica took Penelope and Andrew to school this morning. She thought after she dropped off the kids at school she would go take some pictures. Jessica did just that. Throughout her day she continues taking pictures and decides to go get some lunch then come back and continue taking pictures.

Around one o’clock Jessica went back out and takes some more pictures. She was only going to stay a little while longer, because she had to go pickup the kids from school in an hour. While Jessica is in the middle of taking pictures, she gets a call from her mother-in-law Rose. Instantly Jessica froze in place. Her mother-in-law told her that her husband John has been in a car accident and is on his way to the hospital in an ambulance. She didn’t think this could be happening; she stashed all of her camera gear and rushed to the hospital. As Jessica was on her way to the hospital she calls her brother Tyler and asked if he can pick Penelope and Andrew up from school because John has been in a accident. When Jessica got to the hospital she sprinted in and saw her mother-in-law sitting in the waiting room. Jessica ran up to her mother-in-law and gave her a hug, they both sat there waiting anxiously for the nurses to come out and give them news.

Around 2:45 a nurse comes out and Jessica and her mother-in-law both stand up nervously, holding hands, hoping they get good news. “I’m sorry” the nurse says, “but John did not make it.” Rose and Jessica started crying hysterically holding each other in their arms. The nurse said I’m sorry again then quietly walked away giving them their time alone.

“What am I going to tell the kids?” Jessica feared, “They’re going to be devastated that their father isn’t coming home tonight.”
“Would you like me to come home with you and talk to the kids?” Rose questioned.

“Will you please?” Rose nodded and they both began to start crying again.

After Jessica and Rose left the hospital, Jessica knew that she had to stay calm for the kids and try to keep it together. Jessica and Rose both got to the house, Tyler and the kids were playing games in the game room. “Mommy!” the kids screamed. “Look at what we did, we drew you a picture.” Jessica chuckled and told Penelope and Andrew to come into the living room because she had to talk to them. Tyler and Rose quietly followed behind.

“Now listen guys, I have something very serious to tell you.” Jessica took a breath and began to tell them, “Daddy got in a really bad car accident today” she said.

“Is he okay?” questioned Andrew.

“Where is daddy at?” asked Penelope.

“Daddy won’t be coming home tonight.” Jessica instantly broke down and started crying; she tried finishing the sentence, but couldn’t, so Rose finished.

“Well guys, your dad will be watching you from above in heaven every day.”

“Daddy died?!” Andrew screamed. Rose and Jessica nodded and the kids ran up to them and everyone started crying.

“Now listen kids, it’s going to be hard without dad here, but we will make it, we will be okay I promise you both.”

Rose and Tyler gave Penelope and Andrew one last hug before they left, and reassured Jessica that everything will be okay. The next morning Jessica woke up, she didn’t feel very good but she knew she had to keep it together for the kids. She went in the room to see if they were awake and gave them hugs and kisses.

“How are you guys feeling this morning?”

“I’m okay,” Penelope replied

“I’m okay too” answered Andrew.

Jessica took the kids downstairs and made breakfast for them. Jessica wasn’t really in the mood to do anything today. She decided to take them to the zoo and hopefully clear their minds and hers as well.

The funeral was in two days, so Jessica was becoming depressed having to bury her husband. The house was filled with sympathy balloons, cards and even flowers. She felt grateful that so many people cared about her and her family.

When the funeral was over she was finally at peace with everything, and now her and the kids could finally move on and put this tragic accident behind them. Jessica had a few people come over to their house after the funeral to have snacks and give the family their sympathy. Penelope and Andrew were running around the house with the other kids. They were sad, but it didn’t affect them as much because they were still young.

After every one left, Jessica gathered Penelope and Andrew around to talk to them and make sure they were okay that their father wasn’t going to be around.

“I’m sad, and miss daddy, but I know he’s okay,” Andrew said.

“I miss daddy.” Penelope added.

“Daddy is still here with us, watching from above making sure were all okay. It’s going to be tough, but I’m still here for you guys, and I love you.”

For the next few months their lives started getting back to normal. The kids were finally happy again and Jessica finally continued to take her pictures.

One day at the park while Jessica was taking pictures through her lenses, she saw a man playing catch with his son in the grass. She decided to walk over to them both and ask if it was okay to take a few pictures. Jessica and asked them their names and the man said Brian and his son’s name was Alex.

Jessica and Brian started to catch a little chemistry. Brian asked Jessica out to lunch and they walked across the street to a deli. Brian and Jessica sat for hours talking and getting to know each other, even Alex was interested. She realized what time it was and said she had to go to pick up her kids. Brian asked to with her go and the three of them went to get Penelope and Andrew from school. Later that day Jessica and Brian switched numbers and agreed to meet up later.

A few years have passed, Jessica and Brian got engaged and married and were pregnant with their first kid together. All 3 kids were excited about the new baby and that their parents were married again and continue their lives together as one. Jessica didn’t think her family would be the same, but everyone is finally happy and this family can’t get any more perfect.