Out of Sight | Teen Ink

Out of Sight

By DallasGarcia BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
DallasGarcia BRONZE, Holland, Michigan

My eyes shuttered open and closed. Each deep breathe hits the tip of my lungs and not any further. A similar feeling comes to my body; a feeling of unwanted and despair. The long hair that covers my head hangs in front of my eyes, leaving a blur of an image that I feel I don’t even want to see. A mist of white fog slithers across the space in front of me, leaving a periphery line in the distance. I can only see a serene light up in the sky. The crimson moon is my only guidance; being scared of the dark, having only the moonlight worries me. Take a step and the air doesn’t become any clearer. The earrings that dangle off my ears wobble front and backward with every movement I make.-+
The smell of wet dirt and grass pierce the air that makes its way to my nostrils to the point where I can taste it. It doesn’t taste that pleasant. The wind picks up, but the fog stays all around. Branches from the old trees all around the area clash together; they’re not in my sight. The gate creeks closed from behind me. I can’t see a single thing; the mist is like looking through glasses that do not belong to me. My ears will act as my eyes, now. The taste of the cherry Chap Stick still smothers my taste buds. Yum. Cherries. I take another step forward. The autumn leaves crackle under my shoes.
The piled leaves lift me a few inches off the ground from the still world; a feeling of something not real. I stand on the clouds. The warm breeze hits the uncovered parts of my arms; not cold, but the hair on my arms spike up towards the clouds. Unwanted; a feeling of desperation to get out of here, but have not certain direction or idea where to go. A few steps forward, I know that I can’t turn back. Why I always have to be proven wrong is beyond me. My mind can’t wrap around the things that are going on around me. Is any of this even real? Only time will tell.
The fog clears a little. I see it now. The fog smothers nothing but the ground near the tomb stone. A distant message carved in the stone that I don’t understand; rough shaping in each of the lettering. Jagged edges all along the stone, enough to maybe even leave a cut a long someone’s hand if they slide there hand across it. A brief message under the name going all the way down the front side until some of it is covered up by the fog and mist that covers the bottom of the tomb.
My hand figures its way over the top of the stone. The stone was a falling glacier that overpowered the grip of my palm. My hand shoots over the cold imprints of the stone. Dust and loose cement follow the direction of my hand. Dust gets lost on my face. My mouth and throat are intruded by the debris that travels in the direction of me from the wind acting up along the stone that lies right in front of me.
A smudge of dry blood along the stone would have opened my eyes to the map I have been seeking to make my way out of my overlooked fate which is set ahead of me. Off the corner of my eye, I see a dark, black figure move real quickly out in the distance of the fog; an ominous figure. I can’t see it clearly, but I can see the figure of a human person. The arms, the legs, it was all there. I feel like I’m only seeing these things in my head. Once again, I feel like none of this is even true. I yank my head in that direction to find nothing but the fog to be disturbed. Somehow, even through this thick mist, I feel like someone is watching me; every breath that I take, every movement that I make, I feel like a set of eyes see right through the fog and look right in my direction.
My heart races. I can feel my heart pound against the inside of my rib-cage. I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe. Panic begins to build up inside of me and I don’t know what to do. The darkness, the blinding mist, it all starts to close in on me. The blood in my body begins to rush to my head and I feel like I can’t even stand on my own two feet any longer. I reach my hand out in the unclear air to have the tomb stone help me stand, but it’s not there. My eyes swirl all around until I look forward. Again, that dark figure I saw earlier, I can see it now. Just then, I start to fall into a deep sleep.