Two Worlds at the Horizon | Teen Ink

Two Worlds at the Horizon

By aschxo SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
aschxo SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York

While Jayden named the presidents beside me in the back seat, I watched the passing landscape. Miles of green pastures flooded my view. It continued for miles until it gently hit the horizon, where a magnificent setting sun was fighting its fall. Pinks and purples enveloped the sky and the dim light of the sun cast a shadow on grazing cows and sheep. The animals seemed so peaceful and blithe and I soon grew envious of them. I know it may sound strange that I am jealous of cattle, but why should their lives be so simple?

The car took a sharp right turn onto a side road causing me to bump into my brother. He glared at me and said in his whiny voice, “Asher! You messed me up!” He stuck out his tongue and squinted his eyes so tight, it must have hurt.

“Sorry,” I mumbled. He went back to reciting the presidents. Like the cows, Jayden was quite ignorant of his surroundings. If only he were old enough to understand.

I opened the window expecting the familiar aroma of cigarettes and barbeque, but all I smelt was the fresh summer air. I never would have expected to miss the smell of cigarettes and cooking Mediterranean food, but I guess when you miss something, you miss everything about it.

The car made an abrupt stop. I looked out my window once more and saw a traditional country colonial with a wrap around porch and a huge American flag. The house was relatively smaller than my old apartment building but it did have a homier look to it. The door opened and out came a familiar figure, hobbling down the porch. He was strikingly handsome with his emerald green eyes and muscular build.

My mother eagerly opened the car door and ran up to the man. She gave him a long, lingering kiss, making my father wince at the sight. I have never seen my father cry and I have got to say, I never want to see him cry again. My brother and I unloaded the car and hugged my father good-bye. Soon enough, he was on the road, taking everything I loved with him.