Grandpa's Tales

The snow whips at the window pane of the attic. I sit in a large brown overstuffed dusty chair pushed up against the wall next to the window. I pulled my large quilted comforter closer around my small body and wipe the tears from my eyes.

It was December, almost Christmas, and now Grandpa wouldn't be able to be here. I squeeze my eyes shut and imagine him, lying there in the hospital, the machines beeping constantly. He'd be awake now, but he wouldn't recognize me. His once bright blue eyes that would sparkle when he told me of the forgotten worlds where dragons ruled and knights fought, or where ninja's soft tread filled the sleeping homes of evil samari warlords.

Opening my eyes I peer out the window of the attic. The blizzard has picked up, the house groans and moans as the wind shakes it's old timbers. Grandpa would have loved this weather, he'd have us kids gather around the fire place downstairs and tell us stories, his voice would roll like the ocean that pirates sailed on. Or he'd whisper as assassins crept up on a great king. I smile as I think of this. It's the first smile since that car accident that changed Grandpa.

Unwrapping the blanket I pad across the attic floor in my polar bear slippers. My Christmas plaid PJ pants swish around my ankles as I walk to the other side of the floor. I pick up a large dusty leather book. I wipe my hand across the dust cover and smile as I see the gold leaf lettering. DRAGON STORIES, my finger traces the fancy scrawl of the gold leafed letters, opening the book I feel the soft paper of the page. My smile grows, Grandpa wouldn't be able to tell us stories this Christmas, so be it, I will read them to him. He always loved these stories the best.

I turn and run down the stairs, I have to get ready to visit Grandpa. I was going to read to Grandpa!

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7 at 9:09 pm:
This story has got some great potential! You really capture something emotional and I like that. You need to watch your verb tenses though. The person in the chair unwrapped their blanket before they pad across the floor. I'm assuming you'd like this to be in present tense so be careful to watch that. Also, your ending could be stronger. Perhaps add some details about the person leaving the house. Or "Aha! I found the book in which gran... (more »)

RoyalCorona said...
Jan. 12 at 1:56 pm:
I thought that this was good too and agree with CammyS's comment about how the kid's demeanor changed rather quickly. But, overall, it was great and a heartbreaking story. Keep it up!

CammyS said...
Great, emotional work. My only comment is that perhaps the little boy cheered up too fast, but other than that it was simply fabulous. Keep up the good work!

For-God-And-CountryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:07 pm :
I had a limited space to put the story in becuase it was a comment in the forums, but I see what you mean, sometimes little kids attitudes do change fast though.  Anyway I'll work on making tranisitions smoothers.  Thanks for the help to everyoen who commented!

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great job, very good discription, and wording, natural storytelling.  Good job!