Self Control | Teen Ink

Self Control

December 17, 2012
By Amanda Rigdon BRONZE, Merritt Sialnd, Florida
Amanda Rigdon BRONZE, Merritt Sialnd, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Self Control




Self control is very important in all aspects in life. We use self controlling every day, wether its in school, home life, sports, or out in public, it is essential to have in todays society. When we learn about self control we usually learn it from our parents, friends, teachers, or even strangers in small progressions through our lives. I have learned much of my self control and respect from my Grandpa. He is a very honorable man and knows almost all the ropes to being a well brought up man with self control.

Attitude plays a big roll in having control over yourself especially when choosing wether to have positive or negative look on things. When kids get in a fight at school they choose a negative look, by taking out their anger on the other person and not being strong enough to hold it back and just walk away. Keeping a positive attitude isn't hard, you can think the best about someone or something and over come the anger inside and calm down enough to smile or over look the issue. Self control and also be a personal thing. If you have an eating disorder or you may be self conscious by skipping that extra snack or switching chips to an apple can change the difference in how you feel about yourself, or just thinking about the positive out looks on your self can help you gain confidence.

Being a teenager all kids at the high school have insecurities, hormonal outbursts, and all deal with pure pressure. I think self control is incredibly important and everyone in some point in life should get the chances to learn the ways of controlling them self to just increase their life and how people see them. Psychologists have found that self control is strongly associated with what we label as success. In most peoples views, many people make up reputation and popularity a top priority in life. Which in many cases can shape and morph their attitudes or their behaviors to change into what is now called these days "normal" of "cool". Sometimes by trying to get these labels kids can loose their self control, and turn civil to bully like. By building up self esteem it can better you to become the better person you wish to grow up to be.

Self control is especially important to maintain in the boundaries of school or in public. There will by thousands of people you meet in your life that will not have the same views, opinions, or religious views as you may have, but by looking on the bigger picture and saving a fight or two you need to realize that you can't always be right. Controlling what you think is the right choice or your voice opinion is just a small part of maintaining your self control. I can witness first hand how hard it is to keep my self control in hand, wether its health, school, sports, church, or my friends I always need to understand and remember how important it is to have a skill like controlling myself.