Strange Vibrations | Teen Ink

Strange Vibrations

By AshleyDrake PLATINUM, Indian Trail, North Carolina
AshleyDrake PLATINUM, Indian Trail, North Carolina

I love you like this because I do not know any other way to love - Pablo Neruda, Sonnet 17

“And hell will be mild
By the time I am set free”

I look up shyly at my boyfriend (how I cherish the word) as I read the last line of my most recent poem.
“Good, Hayden. I really like it”, he beams
“You sure babe?”, I ask, insecurity seeping into my voice.
“Of course. I wouldn’t lie,” he replies. He kisses me gently, then whispers softly in my ear, “You’re an amazing author, Haycat. Don’t doubt, just do.”
“Thanks Lynk,” I reply, then lean in for another kiss
“Anytime,” he replies before obliging me. His kisses set me on fire. As we pull back, I study his face. Dark brown skin in such a warm color, coal black eyes, hair dark than nigh, and thick too. Sometimes I catch flak for being the white half of an interracial couple, but I love him so much. And I am pale, with black hair and green eyes Lynk says are like gems. As we converse, I hear a buzzing sound in my right ear. I shrug it off at first, but it becomes more intense.
“Lynk, do you hear anything?” I ask tenativley.
“Nothing but sound of my heart beating for you,” he says with a smirk.
I roll my eyes. “You’re too sweet, babe”
“Just like sugar,” he winks.
We laugh and return to our conversation. But a little while later, the noise ratchets up in intensity.
“Lynk, you sure you don’t hear anything?” I question. Now he looks worried.
“No…I don’t. Baby, I’m gonna take you home”
By now I feel lightheaded, so I agree. I climb into his truck. I see a pinprick of light in the distance, and I comment on its oddity. Lynk retorts, only half jokingly, “Well don’t go toward it.” I giggle, and the ride continues. The light gets larger, and I’m drawn.
“Lynk, I-I have to go.”
His expression is fright I’ve never seen. “No, Hayden. No!’
“I have to. I feel so compelled,” I say, tears in my eyes.
“Hayden, I love you” he sobs.
“Love you too,” is my last sentence before I experience this feeling of waking up.
*********** ***** ****** *****

I hear fuzzy voices.
“Riley, oh Riley!”
“Call the doctors! She’s out of her coma!”