Hidden Princess | Teen Ink

Hidden Princess

As Lizzie was making her third sand castle that day, she turned to see her dad surfing his hair the same dark brown, he looked 35 in the ocean, when he was actually 10 years older.

“Daddy, you were amazing,” Lizzie told him, as he stepped off of his board; He picked Lizzie up and threw her in the air and caught her.

“In one year that’s going to be you,” Tom, Lizzie's dad told her, his eyes filled with happiness, sparkling like nothing in the world could go wrong here.

“Yeah daddy sure, I don’t know why you want to teach me how to surf,” Lizzie commented, her voice filled with sarcasm. She knew her dad always wanted to teach Lizzie how to surf so that he could show the world that he could show his family that just because Lizzie was the only girl didn't mean she couldn't do what everyone else could do in his family.

“Always follow your dream Lizzie, even if someone tells you otherwise.” Tom said. He couldn't fulfill his dream, so his only hope was that his only daughter fulfilled hers know matter what anybody said. His one dream was to become a professional surfer, but instead he went to business school because of his father and became a CEO of a multimillion dollar company which Lizzie had knew he regretted since she was a baby. But his family always said that he was chasing a dead end.

Lizzie’s favorite days were always, those sun shiny days in Orange County, California. With her dad surfing the “sick waves” those were her dad’s word, when he was trying to be hip, and sound younger than he really was. But seeing her dad out there with a smile on his face was always her favorite way that was the only time that Lizzie knew that he was truly happy.

“Get up Lizzie, What is wrong with you, All you do is sleep and eat my food you’re so lazy your father would be disgusted, get out now, your lazy stop being so useless, you’re never going anywhere in life!,” Lizzie's mom Darlene yelled while banging on the door.

Lizzie got up off her bed. She always loved the nights when she dreamed about her days with her dad. Every night she prayed that she would see her dad in her dreams just to get a glimpse of him, it would make her day. Ever since Lizzie’s dad died nightly she would sleep just to see her dad in her dreams. But she hated waking up to the reality of what her life really was now.

She knew that if she went out of her room her mom would be waiting there, and she would be able to smell the stench of last night’s liquor, and the man that was in her room all night. She wouldn't be able to face it. Lizzie quickly brushed her teeth and took a shower before her mom could sober up to find the key; she grabbed her ballet bag, and slid out of the window.

“Shoot, I’m late,” Lizzie started sprinting to the American Ballet Company (ABC), where she worked to clean up after the dancers, one day she knew she would be a dancer at ABC, one day. As she sprinted winding through the crowds, twisting her petite torso so that she didn’t bump into to many people with her bag, she reached the ABC studio.

“Ah,” Lizzie relaxed as she set her bag down on the rows of theatre chairs, and the lights all focused on her she was the star. Standing on that stage made her feel like she was a part of something, and like her dad was standing right next to her.

“Fill up my water bottle now! You haven’t even started to retie my ballet slippers, and I NEED CHALK, can anybody get good help these days!” Rebecca yelled at Lizzie.

“Um, yes, sorry, right away,” Lizzie calmly said, her hands fluttering to the tattoo of her dads initials on her wrist, whenever she was scared her hands fluttered to her wrist.

Lizzie was at the ABC theater getting water, cleaning, and watching the rehearsal all day from 8am-11pm as dancers slowly started to pick up their bags, and leave; Lizzie slowly walked to the middle of the stage and took out her point shoes they were old but her feat slid in perfectly. They were the last shoes that her dad had bought for her. All alone Lizzie started to dance to the routine that she had seen Rebecca doing with Chris the dance instructor.

Dancing felt so natural, she did a graceful Chaînés in the middle of the stage, just as she had seen Rebecca do the practice before. Dancing had always felt like breathing, it was so natural to Lizzie. Her face was gleaming with happiness; her eyes sparkled as the stage lights were angled straight at her dark chocolate eyes.
“Who’s there, the theater is closed. You are in an ABC theater; this is a criminal offense of breaking and entering past hours.” Someone yelled from the far left door.
Lizzie grabbed her bag and hid. Her cellphone started to ring, as she tried to turn it off, he found her.

“I can hear you there is someone there, Come out before I call the police.” The man once again yelled into the various seating areas in the theater.

As the man walked out of the theater, Lizzie crouched out from under the chair, there was a flashlight directed right at her eyes.

“Gotchya” The man yelled, as it echoes through the theater.

Lizzie squinted in the light, it was her dad. She was positive it was him. But why was he wearing at least a hundred dollar suit.

“Dad?” Lizzie asked shocked and hoping it was true.

“Oh god, Lizzie. No you’re here. No I’m not Tom, I’m Uncle Daren, your fathers twin brother. You look so much like your father; hah you look so much like me!” Daren said with a sigh of relief.
As they looked at each other up and down. Two gunshots went off in the distance. Lizzie jumped as she heard them, while Daren just sighed.

“Seriously, they found us again. It’s time to go.” Daren said as he took a gun out of his jacket.
As Daren took Lizzie’s hand and started running towards the side entrance. Out of know where a limo appeared Lizzie still dazed pinched herself to see if it was real.

“Who are you? And what are you doing to me,” Lizzie yelled trying to wiggle out of Daren’s grasps.

“Baby Girl don’t try to wiggle it really isn't in your best interest.” Daren said, his face filled with fear
As they got into the limo, Lizzie for some reason felt some sort of relief. As she opened her eyes the next morning, she found herself asleep on a private jet, all the windows sealed shut, so that you couldn't see through them.
As she felt the jet, start to descend and opened her eyes, Daren was wearing a clean white shirt tucked into khaki pants.
“Welcome to Funisialand, Princess.” Daren said smiling ear to ear.
The next few days were a blur all she remembered that she had never felt so safe in her whole life. She was home and she wasn't going anywhere.

Lizzie, just wants to be somewhere safe. And she might have finally found somewhere to call home.