A Senior Year to Remember | Teen Ink

A Senior Year to Remember

By missmolliemac BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
missmolliemac BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

A Senior Year to Remember
June 16th had finally come, and Nikki could not have been more excited. Today was the day she and her best friend Jessica were leaving to go on a cruise to Hawaii for their senior trip. They had been waiting for this trip for what seemed like forever. They had worked so hard to earn money to be able to afford this trip by working extra hours and babysitting as much as possible. They could not believe their dream was coming to life.
The plan was to head to the airport, fly directly to Hawaii, and then immediately get on their cruise. The cruise would last one week, and then they would fly directly back home to Olathe, Kansas. The two girls set out for the airport at four in the morning, more excited than ever! But when they at the airport they realized their flight had been delayed. Staying calm, they clarified they would still be able to make their cruise on time as long as they hurried. Although their trip had a rocky start, they were still making the best of it and turning their extra hour in the airport into fun memories.
Their flight went smoothly and they made their cruise just in the nick of time. They quickly settled into the room they would be staying in for a week. Next up was dinner; since they were delayed at the airport, their eating schedule was out of the normal order and they were starving. They started off the vacation with a fancy dinner and then sat outside on their balcony watching the beautiful waves under the stars.
The next day was a day to relax. They slept in a little while and then got up and lay out to tan all day. They loved soaking up the sun and sipping on lemonades all day. They were so thrilled with the decision they had made for a senior trip and were growing even closer together every day. They made sure to take plenty of pictures and make memories that would last forever.
The next couple of days Nikki and Jessica enjoyed all of the wonderful luxuries of the cruise. This included massages, manicures, pedicures, and arcades. One thing Nikki could not wait to do, but Jessica was terrified to do, was go snorkeling. She was willing to try, but was terribly afraid of water. Nikki finally convinced Jessica she could do it and they set out to accomplish their goal. Sadly, when they got there, the weather forecast included thunderstorms and they were not allowed to go out, due to the risk. They sadly returned to their room and decided to relax for the rest of the day and take a nap.
About half an hour into her nap, Nikki was awakened by an alert on her phone that ended up being an email from her mother. The news her mother had to tell her was the worst news she had heard in her life. Nikki’s younger brother, Eric, had just been in a car accident and was in critical condition in the hospital. The car accident had not been his fault at all, and there was nothing he could have done to stop it from happening. He was driving home from a K-State football game he had attended with his friend, although they drove separately, and a semi had lost control on the highway and hit them.
The ambulance was immediately called by Eric’s friend, who had been following him back home, and he was rushed to hospital. Just recently Nikki’s mom learned that the driver of the semi had been drunk. Even worse, the semi driver had no injuries at all. Nikki awoke Jessica and they made plans to take the first flight they could get at the next cruise port. Luckily, they would stop late that night and be able to be at the hospital by late evening the next day. The whole way Nikki received updates from her mom on how her brother was doing. The updates were not much since he was still in a coma, but they were praying for him constantly. Nikki ran into the hospital room and stayed with her parents at Eric’s bed side until he woke up.
It took a few days, but Eric did eventually wake up. He woke up with a headache, which the nurse said was usual. Instantly, Eric was taken in for many different tests. Upon his return all they could do was wait. While waiting, their family was notified that the driver of the semi felt terrible and was going to pay for all of the medical bills, although he knew he would never be able to make up what he had just done.
Results finally came back and the doctors were able to explain a lot to Eric and his family. Eric had broken both of his legs and sprained his right wrist. He also had a head injury that after further examination was diagnosed as a coma. The good news was that none of these injuries would be permanent, and after recovery he would be fine. Recovery would be long, and he would have to take it easy so nothing got worse. Recovery would include regaining full brain function, and re-strengthening the bones in his legs and wrist. Eric was so thankful and was willing to face the difficult challenges of recovery.
Eric was so thankful and was willing to face the difficult challenges of recovery. By the time it was time for Nikki to start college her brother was almost fully recovered. Although her senior trip did not go as planned, at all, the summer of her senior year would be one she would never forget. She was not mad that she had to end her cruise early, or mad about anything else that happened. She wasn’t upset that her brother got injured, and had no regrets. This was a great new learning experience for the both of them. Her goal for her senior year was to make memories she would never forget, and that is exactly what she did.