Lord of the Flies Alternate Ending | Teen Ink

Lord of the Flies Alternate Ending

November 27, 2012
By kenzie_treub DIAMOND, Orlando, Florida
kenzie_treub DIAMOND, Orlando, Florida
60 articles 0 photos 11 comments

The red-haired boy stared as the man in uniform walked forward. The man towered over the boy at six feet high. He was dressed in a naval uniform with a gun strapped to his hip. However, this gun was concealed by his naval coat. The man had piercing blue eyes and pale-blond hair, as if he had never stood in the sunlight before. The officer looked at the boy with interest. He quickly took notice of the spears in the boy's hand, as well as the war-paint smeared across his face. The boy couldn't have been more than elementary age.
"You been playing war games, boy?"

Jack cocked his head to the side and narrowed his eyes as the man walked closer. He did not answer the man. Although, he seemed to calculate the man's weaknesses. Jack seemed to not be intimidated in the slightest by the man's height. The man seemed unfazed by the boy's primitive stance.
"You are an Englishman, right? A dirty one, I'd say, but English, right?"

Jack gripped his spear tightly. Ralph emerged from the trees, clutching his spear, as he walked to stand behind Jack. The officer regarded Ralph with wary eyes. These were not your average school-boys. The officer noticed the worn down sides of the spear caked in blood and the freshly sharpened tip and could not help but shift his weight uneasily.
"You speak English lad?"

Ralph mimicked Jack's pose, clutching his spear and narrowing his eyes. Ralph seemed to be allowing Jack to take control of the situation. A glimpse of the innocence and hope for rescue that once consumed Ralph was immediately deadened after a sharp look from Jack. The officer noticed this and inwardly shuddered at the complexity of this game he was playing. The officer cautiously spoke again.
"Who's in charge here?"

Immediately Ralph's demeanor changed as he stood up straight and clutched his spear at his side like a soldier outside of Buckingham Palace. His eyes were hardened. The officer was able to get a good look at him now. Ralph's hands were smeared with blood. It was difficult to distinguish the difference between the blood and paint on his body. The boy couldn't have been older than twelve, yet the boy stood as straight as a soldier.
"I am chief."

Jack's eyes flashed with anger but he remained silent.
"I've come to take you back home, boys."

Jack stepped forward menacingly. The officer held his ground but brought his hand to his hip. Jack spoke.
"We are home."

The officer looked startled at the red-haired boy's words. His voice was rasping and harsh. This was a boy who had murder in his heart.
"England is home, boy. I must bring you home. Are your parents around here?"
"Gone."

Jack's tone was simple, as if he were announcing the tide. The officer took a small step back, seemingly surprised.
"Where? Where have your parents gone?"
"Gone. They are gone."

Ralph stepped forward.
"Gone. When we got here. Gone."

The officer seemed mildly relieved.
"How many dead?"
"Two."
"In the crash?"

Jack smiled.
"We were playing a game. We couldn't find any pigs."

The officer stepped back again. His expression of calm immediately fell. His eyes filled with dawning horror as he looked upon the boys in front of him. At this point he noticed more boys emerging from the thicket, all armed with spears. Jack's smile fell as he noticed the man's fear. After a moment of contemplation, Jack's smile came back as he motioned for the tribe to come out of the bushes. The boys approached and formed a half circle around Ralph, Jack, and the officer.
"I am here to take you home. You want to come home, don't you boys?"

The boys, divided, looked at both Ralph and Jack, waiting for direction. Jack spoke again, this time with more force.
"We are home."

The officer looked back towards his boat. Seemingly torn between the two dystopias of his home and this island. Both ravaged with war, and both seemingly terrifying. However, this was a beast the man had not faced before. These boys were supposed to be innocent, yet somehow they were filled with savagery. The enemy the officer was accustomed to facing were grown men, not his own young kinsmen. The officer was at a loss as he contemplated his options. His ship-mate, Watson, was sleeping in the cabin on the boat. Their spears would not make much noise. The officer was truly alone. Yet, as Jack motioned for the boys to enclose the officer completely, he could not bring himself to draw his gun.
"Boys, is this necessary? There is no need to cause a fight here."
Jack smiled devilishly and cocked his head to the side as he spoke again.
"But we are at war."

Jack moved forward raising his spear and pointing it towards the officer.
"We are home. Leave us be."
"There is no need for violence, boys. I must insist that you return home with-"
"No!"

Jack pressed the point of his spear into the officer's chest. The officer inhaled sharply, but he remained still.
"Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!"

The circle of the boys closed tighter and tighter around the officer. The officer reached for his gun but his arm and leg were struck by a boy. The man yelped in pain as he sunk to his knees. The man was now eye-level with the boys. The boys chanted in unity. They were now one tribe.
"Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!"
"Boys, I must implore you to stop this!"

The boys continued forward. Another boy struck his back.
"Boys, please! This is truly unnecessary!"
"Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!"

The boys began jabbing the officer with their spears. Jack and Ralph simultaneously approached the officer from the front. Ralph placed his spear tip underneath the officer's neck.
"Watson! Watson! Help me!"
"Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!"

Jack pushed Ralph out of the way and struck the officer across the head with his spear. The man collapsed unconscious to the ground as the boys continued beating him. Blood soon pooled around the man's body as the boys continued striking him. Some boys began stabbing.
"Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!"

Ralph raised his spear into the air, calling for the boys to halt their movements. All eyes were on Ralph as he looked out at the boat down-shore. A man was coming out of the cabin. This man, evidently the Watson who had been called, stepped onto the beach and stared at the boys in disbelief. Ralph studied the man for a moment before turning back to the thicket and marching back in. Ralph's thoughts of rescue faded as Jack's abstinence from it grew stronger. Ralph simply followed along, preferring not to be killed as well. Jack nodded and the boys followed Ralph. Jack remained standing as he and Watson engaged in a stare down. Jack studied the man as a gorilla might look at a zookeeper. Jack looked away from Watson back into the thicket, then back towards the man in the boat. Giving Watson a slight nod, Jack returned into the thicket.
Rationale

The rationale for this alternate ending is straightforward. I found it unbelievable when the naval officer approached the boys, and they simply went home with him. Judging by Jack's extreme abstinence from rescue, I feel that he would refuse to leave the island, and when pushed, he would lash out, in this case killing the officer. I understand that there might be some question behind Ralph's lack of enthusiasm towards rescue. I feel that mob mentality would prevent Ralph from leaving on his own. He would feel compelled to stay if the other boys stayed. Due to the fact that the boys listened to Jack more than they did to Ralph, the boys chose to stay, and therefore Ralph followed suit. I feel that my ending is more logical than that of Golding's, as I continue Jack's aversion to rescue, whereas Golding drops this idea, and has Jack simply follow along.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for my English 9 Honors class. It is realistic in my opinion. It is an alternate ending for William Golding's Lord of the Flies. I didn't really like the ending, and when given an opportunity in class to write an alternate ending for extra credit, I was excited to share my view. Please let me know what you think. The rationale for this ending is at the bottom.