Familiar Strangers | Teen Ink

Familiar Strangers

By NikkiNik BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
NikkiNik BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I took my place on the bench and waited. The bright lights irritated my eyes for they were still adjusting from the darkness of the outside. There was a hum coming from somewhere, clouding my thoughts as I felt my eyelids grow heavy. I was able to smell the pizza and my stomach grumbled in response, attacking me with constant pains.
My foot tapped impatiently while I wondered if it was necessary to come here, maybe there was something at home that they would like. I was startled when I heard,
“It’s ready, Sir.” I quickly looked up and met the eyes of the girl behind the counter.

“Huh?” I asked groggily.

“Your pizza, it’s ready.” She was smiling but I could tell it was fake; she wanted to go home and so did I.

“Right. Thank you.” I stepped up and paid for the warm boxes and the two liter of Vernors. I made my way out to the parking lot and was just able to here the door ring, marking my absence. After placing the two boxes in the passenger seat I let out all of the air from my lungs and started the truck. It’s hard to believe that Chels actually left her kids with me for the week. She really thinks I can handle them?

The house was small and its pale blue paint was visibly fading. A single tree lined the side of the house, its fingers scratched the siding every now and then. Yes, it was an old house but it was nice and it suited me just fine. A small porch light flicked on as I pulled in to the driveway.
After staring at the small home for a moment I finally pushed the door open and climbed out of my truck. I hesitantly swung to the other side, snatched the pizzas, and walked to the front door, taking slow, painful steps. After fumbling with my keys for a moment I fit them in the lock and forced the stubborn door open.

The living room was dim, the television giving off more light than the several lamps. The two kids, what were their names again? They were sitting on my couch and only looked over at me for a moment. Their attention was soon turned back to the screen until I mentioned I had pizza. I held their interest once again as I set the pizza on the table. Turning around, I opened the cupboards and quickly set the table. They just sat there, the younger girl watched me curiously and her older brother refused to look up.

“Help yourselves.” I said into the tense silence.

“Thanks” I could just make out what the boy said. Now that I think about it I believe his name is Hunter.

We ate in silence for a while but I didn’t mind. I’m actually not sure what to say to either of them. I found myself watching Hunter, his dark hair was just peeking out from under his baseball cap. Sophie, right that was her name, had the same hair, almost curly but not exactly, ‘though hers was a shade lighter.

The boy was staring at his Vernors as if he was questioning its existence. Sophia took a sip, made a face, and swallowed with a gulp. “Ew,” she whined. Seriously? How could they not like this stuff?

“Would you two like water instead?” I ask. I received a nod from both of them. With a sigh I snatched their glasses and stepped to the sink. It saddened me to pour out their nearly full glasses but I was able to shrug it off and fill their cups with water. The handle to the tap returned to its original position with a sharp squeak.

I gave her a questioning look when she grinned at me. I waited for it to pass and when it didn’t I just had to ask,

“What is it?” That just got her laughing, not just those cute giggles you would expect either, I mean full out squealing. I exchanged a confused look with her brother and he only shrugged.

“Your face!” Were the only two words she said in between her short breaths.

“My face?” I then took a napkin to wipe my mouth it was then revealed that I had a small amount of pizza sauce on my top lip. I couldn’t suppress a snicker; was it really that funny? Hunter cracked a smile, I was sure of it.

After things quieted down I heard Sophie say, “Uncle Jim?”

“Yes?” I responded, “what is it?”

“What’s your favorite color?” If that wasn’t a random question I don’t know what is, although, she is like what, Eight? That seems about right.

“Um,” I paused, “yellow.” With that response I heard a giggle from her. “Is there a problem?”

She nodded. “That’s a girl color.” I just rolled my eyes.
Shaking my head I began clearing the table. At this point I was just throwing dishes into the sink; I would take care of them tomorrow, or the day after that. Just their presence is tiring. When I turned around they were no longer there, instead, in the living room like before.
I stalked into the room and took quick note that they were in the same spots as they were from before. I can’t say it didn’t startle me, almost like they never moved. After shrugging it off I sat next to Hunter who brought his shoulders up as he tensed. I was afraid he might have scooted away.
I cleared my throat, “So,” I started, “how old are you now?” Hunter looked toward me.
“Twelve.” He proudly told me. I’m not sure why but he seems so much younger than what he is. My attempts to ease the situation only seemed to make it worse. After trying to find something to say I finally give up and look towards the screen, maybe I could find something on the TV to discuss. I was actually not sure what the heck we were watching. It was some sort of cartoon but much stranger than those from what I remembered. I actually kinda feel bad for these guys: having to deal with all these stupid shows.
We sat there for a while, I’m actually not sure for how long but it seemed like forever. I would often check my wrist, as if the numbers would change faster if I pressure them. Shoot, what time did Chelsea want them in bed? Whatever, nine is a good time, right? I sure hope so, I’m exhausted.
Abruptly, I stood up and stretched. My neck disagreed and punished me with a sharp pain. I rolled my shoulders back and relaxed, easing it away.
“Alright kiddies, bed time.” Where did that come from? I‘m honestly not sure but it earned me two groans in protest. I just decided to ignore it and continued leading them to the guest room. It wasn’t the biggest room, but it was cozy. Again, the room was lit with lamps but they gave off more than enough light. I mentally thanked myself for setting up the queen-sized-bed before.
I left them to themselves for a moment as I went to find a phone. I quickly dialed Chelsea’s number and took a deep breath.
“Hey Jim,” I heard her answer.
“Hey, the kids are getting ready to go to bed-” I was cut off
“Oh good, I hope they haven’t caused any trouble.”
I sighed in irritation, “Not at all, so how’s Atlanta?”
“Hot,” she whined, “but it’s so cool, I should bring you on my next mission trip!”
I laughed nervously. “Yeah, maybe.” I was never one for travel and I really didn’t want to see Atlanta again.
“I wouldn’t drag you to the city,” She reassured me, as if she was reading my mind.
“Yeah, yeah, I’m gonna go check on your kids, Goodnight Chels.”