Memory from my past | Teen Ink

Memory from my past

By m-kelley BRONZE, Murphysboro, Illinois
m-kelley BRONZE, Murphysboro, Illinois

The hospital smelled so clean, it was almost hard to believe that it was filled with sick people. I was there to see my grandfather. He had been in a motorcycle accident, this time much worse than the last. The time before he only had a broken arm, this time… They didn’t let me see him. Well I guess it’s understandable to not let a six year old see a man torn to shreds. The doctor came out of the room just as me and my grandmother had gotten there.

“Mister, is Papa gonna be o’tay?”

“He’ll be fine. You can see him tomorrow when he wakes up.”

“But I want to see him now.”

“I’m sorry but you can’t”

“But, but… Nana make him say yes…” According to her I started to cry.

“Sweetheart, I’m sorry. We’ll come back tomorrow.”

“But I wanna see Papa… You promised me…”

“I know, I’m sorry. But the doctor said no.”

“Fine!”

We then went to go see my other grandfather. The one from my mother side of the family. He was in prison. I think that time he was in for drug dealing, that or another interaction with people. I wasn’t quite sure, it was hard to tell with her side of the family. But when we got there, my – well, my Amalee. I never really liked her – well she was there. So we left. Never got to see my grandfather, haven’t seen him since I was three. After that, we went to the Zoo, since it was nice out.

“Antoinette, do you wanna go get something to eat?”

“Um, yeah. My tummy has been speaking since the tigers.”

My grandmother would laugh at these kinds of sentences. I still speak like this.

“Okay. How about we go to the River Café?”

“Does it have fishie samiches?”

“Probably.”

“M’tay, Nana.”

After eating my sandwich, I insisted on feeding the ducks my fries. The geese got none, only the ducks were feed. Soon after feeding the ducks, we left and I saw a little store. It had cute stuffed animals and well, as any small child, I had to have one.

“Nana, buy me this.” The stuffed animal I had just claimed was a red fox, it was beautiful.

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I want it.”

We stared at each other for a little while, then she gave in.

“Fine.”

That’s how my last interaction with those people went. I think I last saw my grandmother two years ago. For some reason that memory came to mind. Maybe it was something to do with the motorcycle I was driving. I was off to my house, with my husband and kids. But I guess fate had something else in mind. Soon after thinking about all of that, everything went black. A car had come barreling down the hill in front of me, and slid right into my side.

The air smelled too clean, and the room was a blurry blue. To my left I could hear the sound of some machine, and all around me peoples voices. Funny how the world works. I woke in the very hospital from my memories, and everything was the same. Only this time it was me in the crash.