Alone in the Woods | Teen Ink

Alone in the Woods

By Pippie-Elizabeth BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon
Pippie-Elizabeth BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon

Snow lightly fell from the grey, clouded sky onto the dark forest below. Birds perched closer together in their soft, pine needle padded cradles. Yellow-gold feathered heads evolve into grey-brown bodies which filter into ebony black wingtips. Their puffed breasts, speckled with gold, burst and recede evenly, evidence of their silent slumber.

A sepia rabbit halted under a pine tree to listen to the evening hush: sniffing the air with a twitching nose. Puffy flakes of soft powder clung to his back, lined his long ears, and made his fluffy tail into a white pom-pom. He stopped moving completely, as if holding his breath, then bounded onward. His quavering nose leading the way: small engravings in the freshly fallen snow trailing behind.

The sky flurried more heavily now; creating a thicker cotton layer on the pine needle floor. On a lonely hill in the distance, a wolf called up to the clouds in sorrowful cries. She whined at the silence that followed. Her body shook from cold and sadness.

“Pleeeease, please, please, please,” she cried softer and softer with puffs of warm breath colliding with the frigid air and causing a visible, swirling effect.
The sky just continued to shake snow silently onto the world below, paying no attention to the cries of the solitary wolf or the still hush of the forest.

I really wanted to have an underlying feeling of loneliness for the wolf, a sense of eagerness from the rabbit, and security for the birds. Relationships are a huge part of life, and I wanted to portray some of them in nature.