Rescued | Teen Ink

Rescued

By lovekiller BRONZE, Old Bridge, New Jersey
lovekiller BRONZE, Old Bridge, New Jersey

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allan Poe
“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”-Dr. Suess

He found me there. A crumpled heap on my bathroom floor. Obviously my psychotic mother had left to go drink twice her body weight at the local bar, otherwise she would never have let him in the house. Being the compassionate, courageous boy her was, Sam probably noticed the empty drive way and ran right in.
When he opened the door and saw me sitting in a small puddle dripping from the deep slashes across my wrist, I can't begin to imagine what thoughts were running across his mind. I looked up at him with water filled eyes and a tear streaked face, sobbing uncontrollably still. I must have looked hideous. Sam knelt down next to me, completely unaware of the blood soaking into his jeans. He wrapped his arms tightly around my shoulders, and used his free hand to shake the kitchen shears from my fingers, then sat heavily on the floor and pulled me into his lap.We sat there for what felt like hours. Sam never once loosened his hold on me. He knew how much I loved being held. When the tears stopped falling and my chest stopped sobbing, I wiped my face and looked up at him.
"Sam?" I gazed into his loving green eyes.
"Yes?" He gazed back. His expression full of relief and passion.
"I love you." I stated simply. He smiled at me, as I continued. "I've known I've loved you for a long time now, and I'm so sorry this happened. I know how much you like Brittany, but I had to tell you now. There may not be another chance to. I know you're going to say there will be, but I'm not so sure. If this happens again ... if I ever try to... again... I mean..."
"Shhhh," he soothed. I realized I had been rambling. "I will always be here for you. You wont ever have to hurt yourself again."
"Sam, I know you rescued me this time, but in the future ..." I began.
"Hey," he interrupted. "Don't talk like that. I'm hear now. That's all that matters. Anything else can be dealt with and talked about later. everything, but this."
He leaned down and kissed me gently and lovingly.
"I love you," he said. "and..." I reached up and kissed him again before he could finish.
We stayed there like that for who knows how long. Sam had rescued me, and I knew deep down, that he would always be there to rescue me.