The Ocean of Wisdom | Teen Ink

The Ocean of Wisdom

By Kaitlyn_Rose_2 BRONZE, La Quinta, California
Kaitlyn_Rose_2 BRONZE, La Quinta, California

My breath was caught. The rest of the world suddenly didn’t matter. It felt like I was staring out into the universe. I was at home here; nothing else mattered in that moment. It was one of those perfect summer days; when everything that you’ve never accomplished or wanted to resolve fades into dust. That day, I was a part of the ocean.
I slowly walked towards the edge of the water. One more step, and something unexpected would happen; I was sure of it. I closed my eyes, took a teeny step forward, then another. At any moment a monstrous wave could build a magnificent wall of water, then come crashing down on me; engulfing me in its dark, wicked ways. The ocean never intimidated me, so I kept walking.
Suddenly the bone-chilling water hit my toes. I slowly opened my eyes to a world full of humble serenity. All I could see was water surrounding me, tempting me to take one step further. I walked deeper into the water, not giving it a second thought about what world lay behind me. Eyes steady on the horizon, watching the sun creep across the sky, the salty sea-breeze whispered to me to go one more step. Just like a shy little kitten changing into a ferocious monster, a wave grew up right in front of my eyes. I was not scared. I calmly dove into the wave, giving into whatever the ocean had to offer.
In that moment of silence underwater, every problem, fear, and ounce of worry was washed away by the tide. Two seconds was an eternity; time was at a standstill. The moment I advanced out from the underworld of the blue giant called an ocean, all my memories came back changed for the better, and time caught back up with me. The birds squawking overhead, the distant waves crashing on the shore far behind me, the salty mix of sea and sand; I was at peace without a worry in the world.
Nature spoke to me. It told me to let go, to take a chance, torch all your fears, and to be strong. Sometimes it’s the little things that make the biggest impact. That one magical day in Laguna Beach made me realize that nature should be respected, and it will give you respect back.