The Robbery For Ben | Teen Ink

The Robbery For Ben

A Terrible Robbery for Ben

The activities at the bank started out like any other ordinary day. Customers flowed in and out, with the tellers hard at work.
Just across town, Ben Morton was sitting bedside with his ill wife. She had just been diagnosed with late stage brain cancer. The doctors told Mr. Morton she would only have a couple weeks to live without treatment. They told him that it cost over $100,000. That was an amazingly unfathomable number for him. He knew he did not have the resources to pay for this treatment. He thought, “I would have to rob a bank to come up with that… rob a bank…a bank.” He had never had criminal history, but it seemed to be his only option.

He arrived at the bank at 2:00 P.M. the next afternoon. Spending one half of his night devising his plan, the other dozing off, he created his master plan. He had scoped out the bank, and he knew where every camera, alarm trigger, and items that would affect his plan were. He walked in and sat on the plush, maroon chairs. After sitting there for about fifteen minutes, he walked up to one of the tellers. He had scribbled a nearly illegible note to him. On it was written, “Hand over all the moneyI have a gun in my pocket and I won’t hesitate to use it. Notify the police and you will seriously regret it.” The teller’s fake smile on his face went down instantly after the note was read. He grew pale and shaky and did what he was told.
What Ben didn’t know was that the teller had slipped an ink pack into the bag, which would go off as he exited. Whenever the teller handed it over, Ben made a sprint for the door. And that’s when he realized that the pack had exploded. Panic set into his mind, and he made a full on sprint down the street. The shrill of the bank alarm put more terrifying thoughts into his mind. He imagined himself sitting in a jail cell, not being there for his wife. He steadied himself to a quick-paced walk. Ben knew that he wouldn’t be able to hang on to the money bag forever, especially with the police on his trail. His palms had become sweaty and he shook so violently people began to stare. He ran into the park and sat at a bench.
He had been in the bank for four hours! It was 6:00 and the sky began to turn a light salmon color. He needed to move. Ben heard the sirens. He began to run back to the sidewalk and down the street. The first of the police cars showed up. More showed up. It seemed like a hive of bees was after him. With guns pulled and threats shouted, he began to slow. When he continued walking, in his dazed-like state, he heard a very loud bang and a very sharp pain in his back right below his shoulder blade. And he collapsed.
The robbery was a failed attempt.
Ben went unconscious.

“Ben…Ben… Hello?” was the first thing he heard when he awoke. He was in a hospital bed, his mother calling him. He was placed in a bed that was next to his wife’s bed. He reached over and grabbed his wife’s hand. His mother was telling him things, but he wasn’t paying any attention. He caught one thing. “Morgan is in a failing condition. I’m sorry.” His monitor began fluctuating, and he gripped his chest. His eyes closed, and he fell asleep.
Forever.