Grateful | Teen Ink

Grateful

By kiara_dejesus15 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts
kiara_dejesus15 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Everyone knows Melissa. She is one of the prettiest girls at Warren High. Her hair is blonde and falls down her back like a waterfall. Her eyes are the color of the Pacific. She was captain of the varsity cheerleading squad. Her father was chief of police and her mother was a lawyer. Melissa had it all. She was also really nice. Melissa was always smiling, helping people, and giving back to the less fortunate. She got along with everyone and had no enemies.

Melissa also had a boyfriend. He was a senior at Warren High School just like her. They were the perfect couple. They had been together since junior high. He was the guy that took her virginity. He had her heart. Everyone knew about Melissa and Ian. They were chosen as “cutest couple” in their senior yearbook and were elected for Prom King and Prom Queen. Their life was a fairytale. But that all changed when it happened.

One morning Melissa woke up sick. She brushed it off and thought it was nothing. But after a week of having morning sickness and being late on her period, she knew something was wrong. After school, Melissa went to the pharmacy. She bought two pregnancy tests and rushed home. Her parents were still at work. Melissa walked to the bathroom with the pregnancy tests in hand. Five minutes later, she was sitting on the toilet seat awaiting the results. Melissa took the 3 steps to the sink and looked down at the pregnancy test. Suddenly it felt as everything stopped moving. All emotions left Melissa’s face. It can’t be true!

Both lines were purple. It was positive. She was pregnant. Melissa was terrified of what her parents would think. She knew this was going to disappoint them. Melissa called Ian.
“Hi babe, I have something to tell you… I’m… pregnant!” Ian was silent. “Hello, Ian are you there?”
“Yeah I’m just surprised. I love you a lot and I will do anything for you.”
“So your not mad babe?”
“No.”
‘Oh, thank goodness. I love you too Ian.”
“ Alright and Melissa don’t worry. I’ll be here for you and our child.”
Melissa was glad to hear those words come out of his mouth. She was glad that he chose to be in their child’s life. Now all she had to do was break the news to her parents.

Melissa was scared when she heard her parents come through the front door. She knew she had to tell them. As she walked downstairs she caught sight of her parents and told them she needed to talk. She broke the news to them. Her parents were shocked. Their baby was having a baby. Melissa began crying and told her parents that she understood if they were disappointed and didn’t love her anymore. Her parents reassured her that they were disappointed but said that they still loved her. They told Melissa that they would be there to help her and Ian every step of the way. Melissa was relieved and realized how grateful she was to have loving and caring parents like hers. Things were going to get difficult for her in the next couple of months but she had a lot of love and support to get her through it.