Born to Power | Teen Ink

Born to Power

October 17, 2012
By Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado
Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado
14 articles 3 photos 27 comments

I was born to rule. My family had ruled for generations, throughout almost all of recorded history in Akracia. Some would say that this fact makes us monarchs, but I disagree. We are here because that is what the people have chosen, what we have chosen, for hundreds, even thousands of years. I’ve been taught not to forget that fact.
I was my mother’s firstborn, but not my father’s. He already had three children. But my mother was Dictator, and so as her firstborn, I learned to rule as I learned to walk and talk. I had private tutors who taught me our battle tactics, how international relations worked, the languages of the neighboring countries, and anything else they deemed worthy of my attention. Like every other Akracian child, I learned to ride on horseback. I excelled at this, and by the time I was 12, I had my own string of horses. Yet my parents understood that my people would not support me if they did not know me.
They had me go to school with the other children for subjects such as math, science, the nation’s history-which I found dull, writing and penmanship. I grew up with my people, and counted many of the as friends. I frequently abandoned my studies to join them in some form of mischief, often leading it myself.
I grew up learning to love my people, and they grew up to love me. Many of my friends requested positions at our-for lack of a better word-palace, as grooms or housekeepers, soldiers or advisers as soon as they could. My parents, once again in their infinite wisdom, almost always accepted these requests, knowing that having people I could trust and that I knew close to me would prove useful in future years.
I lived in our capital, Tarta, for my adolescence, although I had seen almost the entire country by the age of 16. Our country is a truly beautiful place, with our snowy peaks, arid deserts, lush forests, both tropical and deciduous, and open plains. I found myself determined to do it justice in my rule.
My mother later bore two more children, a younger sister named Skyeler who was jealous of my position, and a younger brother named Shaughn who was more concerned with his friends and girls. I fought nearly constantly with Skye, whether obviously or more underhand, but Shaughn and I got along fairly well.

I became involved in our nation’s politics at the age of 20. I started traveling to our allie’s countries, serving as a diplomat and acquainting myself with their leaders and culture. I found Estoria to be fascinating, with their huge variety of beliefs, dress, language, and ethnicity. Conzare was interesting as well, with the near rectangular shape of the country, and the friendliness of their people.

I also helped my parents with decisions, spending time each day listening to the issues or quarrels that citizens had, and giving suggestions on how they could overcome these problems. My parents often met with people in person, while I took charge of the e-mail requests. We received thousands of e-mails each day, and tried to answer all that we could.

My parents allowed me to choose a husband by love, and did not plan a marriage for me. They wished for me to choose from everyone, and said they would not mind who I chose. My sister took his advice to heart, and chose a boy she had grown up with, named Forest. I think I chose well, and my life is all the more complete for it.

By the age of 31, I stepped up to the throne. My people had known it was coming since I was born, and the support behind me was immense. Our alliances were stronger than ever, as other leaders ascended their thrones. My parents invited them to my coronation, which lasted almost two weeks. The people expected me to lead them to a new era, be it one of peace, prosperity, or power, and I planned and plan to do just that.

Being Dictator, and staying there is a huge responsibility. I have to ensure that my people continue to support me, that our alliances do as well, that my throne is secure, and that my country prospers. But I was placed here for a reason, and I plan to make that reason known to the world.


The author's comments:
This was a piece I did for Social Studies.