Sweet Doughnuts | Teen Ink

Sweet Doughnuts

By Solipsism=Confusion GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
Solipsism=Confusion GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

“So, how much did your new set cost you this time?” Alpha asked. I took a sip of my beer and responded, “Why does it matter?”
“Because, sometimes I worry that this hobby of yours will suck you dry.”
“Well, since you care, this one cost me $250.” Alpha choked a bit and started laughing, “Heh, well at least your honest or was it more?” I nodded at his question. There was a brief period of silence until Alpha let out a sigh, “What do you find so interesting about this junk?” I gave some thought to his question. “Hmm, well, there were times, when I was younger, that I had interest in these things, but it sort of came and went. Then, on a quiet Christmas Eve, I was surfing the web…
“What’s wrong with you? Why weren’t you spending that time with your family?’ Alpha interrupted.
“Who cares what I was doing, just let me finish my story and then you can go on complaining about that day.” I told him. He muttered something and took a sip.
“Well, while on the web, I discovered this show called Carnival Phantasm and it looked interesting. At the time, it seem a little too out there for me, but out of curiosity I gave a shot.”
“Mhmm”
“When the opening credits for this began, my life changed.”
“You’re exaggerating it.”
“Whatever, when it started something felt odd. I felt so warm and happy, as though every miserable thing about me and my life never existed. When the episode ended, I knew that this was something special and wanted to see how far I go into it and, well, that’s it.”
“Can I ask you something?”
“What is it?”
“Aren’t you ashamed of this hobby?” Again, I had to give it some thought. “Hold on man, I gotta take piss” alpha got up from his stool and left to the bathroom.
While I was waiting, I asked the bartender for another beer. “This is the fifth one,” I thought,” Well, the more the better.” I tried to grin at that thought, but it sounded stupid. After a couple of minutes Alpha came back and sat down. “Alright, now that that’s done, are you ashmed?” he asked.
“Yeah, it’s not something I feel proud to flaunt to the public like some do.”
“So why do you continue knowing that it’s shameful.”
“’Cause, I’ve never found something so wonderful and beautiful. I know that sounds lame, but listen: You’ve know me for awhile, right?...
“Mhmm”
“Well, in my lowest point, these shows were the only thing that kept me going. They were the closes thing I had to friend. I know that’s sad, but I was happy. So, even though it’s shameful I still love it. “ It got quiet. Alpha began to snicker and that suddenly turned into laughter. He grabbed me by the neck, “Man, you sound so lame, but I can tell you’re being truthful.” I started laugh with him. Our laughter soon died down and I asked him, “You’re paying, right?” He grinned, “Well, for telling me such an interesting story, why not.”