Is It Worth It? | Teen Ink

Is It Worth It?

October 3, 2012
By s_elizabeth96 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
s_elizabeth96 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Is It Worth It?

All Evelyn could ever think of was how she wanted to be noticed, and make an impact in this world. She always had trouble finding her knack for something and was always an outcast. While on her way home from school one day, Evelyn had a sense that she was being followed. She was viscerally right.

Turning around she noticed an extremely sophisticated women approaching her, not knowing what to do, Evelyn just stood there intimidated.

“So Evelyn, you may not know me, but I know you. I know what you want to be and what you want to do with your life. Trust me and I can make that all happen, all you need to do is make a deal with me.” Said the lady.

Little did Evelyn know that this lady she just got approached by has the nickname of ‘the Devil.’ Thinking about what Evelyn had just been approached by she takes into consideration the offer.

“What would I have to do for you to be able to let me live my dream?” Evelyn questioned.

“I don’t ask for much, all I ask is that if I can give you everything you want then you help me with what I want. I want to have control over all the money you end up earning. I know that you have scruples about it but it would just be like I am managing you. Call me Fiona by the way.”

Evelyn had an ambivalent look on her face, her heart wanted to be able to live her dream but then her head was telling her that this was not a good idea. Even though Evelyn was having scruple thoughts she ended up telling Fiona, “I’ll take the deal.”

Fiona, pleased with her latent plan just smiled. “Perfect, tomorrow morning you will wake up in a whole new world.”

So after that Evelyn continued going home, thinking about what she had just done. That night she could not sleep, wondering if she had made the wrong choice. But she knew that she could not take it back, she didn’t even know where to find Fiona. All she could remember was last looking at the clock at 3 o’clock in the morning, next thing she knows she was in a different bed in a different house. She could not believe it.

“Where am I?” she asked herself. “Who am I?” She asked again once she looked in a mirror. Evelyn was the older version of herself 20 years older in this nice huge house and next thing she heard was the doorbell ring.

Figuring her way through her house she never knew, she finally found the door, it was Fiona.

“I gave you what you wanted; now you need to let me help you out and complete our deal.” She said right as she barged through the door.

Once Fiona started talking, Evelyn knew that there was something surreptitious with choosing to take this deal. Trying to think of a way to get out of it she realized this would be difficult.

“Fiona, I appreciate everything that you have given me, I thought this is what I truly wanted, but it’s not. Is there anything I can do to change this?” Evelyn asked.

“Well, the only thing I can think of is you give me all your money and start over again. No house, nothing.”
“I’ll take it.” This time, Evelyn knew this is what she wanted. And she started all over.