Broken Wishes | Teen Ink

Broken Wishes

By iamGBOX BRONZE, Highland, California
iamGBOX BRONZE, Highland, California

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

The night was quiet, the sounds of the party far behind the grove of evergreen trees. From time to time, the laughter of the guests drifted upon the breeze, like the sound of gentle waves breaking on a distant shore. The light from far-off candles glimmered brightly through the openings of the glade, as if to sing in unison with their myriad cousins suspended in the heavens. But their light did not warm a body so much as great love did stir a soul. The sounds of company receded, as the cold ushered the visitors in toward the benevolent warmth of the hearth inside the house. Yet still did the candlelight flicker, and whisper with the air as it glided through the snow-topped trees. The scent of pine mingled with the taste of fireplace-smoke, as it spun through the greenery, and danced upon the wind, as it dipped and swept the snow, then twisted round the branches of the slumbering, aging oak. Then I, with tender thoughts in heart, strode silent in the idyllic glen, but for the sound of the thin, fresh show that did yield beneath my feet. The breeze kissed the snow, and shared its cold with the only two left apart from the inviting warmth of the hearth. Even from behind, still did I see an involuntary shudder both from what the wind had told you, and in knowing I was there. I stilled myself behind you, and stood near. You turned your face to me, and a tremor now struck my frame, for certainly your eyes of light were akin to the gentle flame in the candlelight and stars, and as such did sing the same. With my arm I brought you nearer, and bid you rest upon my shoulder. Hot tears did then escape mine eyes, and from my throat a broken sob. My sigh turned to crystal upon the air, and was spirited off by the frigid wind. My frozen visage, now thawed by tears, did then allow me full release of my grief. I lay my face beside your satin locks, and wept disconsolate in my distress.

Oh God! Am I to lose, unto another, that which I hold so dear? For though my heart held fire, lit by her precious eyes, I could not kindle such in her, though through many desperate tries. How could I know that she would melt my hardened armor, only to crush the heart of glass within? I closed my eyes, and wept one last time, over this angelic maid. I took off my antique leather glove, and moved her hair back from her face. With warm fingers did I brush her cheek, in love and care, and remorse deep-set within me. Tears of diamond left her cheeks, and I knew they were not mine. I leaned forward then to kiss her, but she turned her head aside. No further words were needed; to speak would be only folly. Superficial was her love for me, though mine had cut me deep. She drew back from my embrace, and turned away. I watched her leave slowly, and stood doleful in the glen. And the wind was still, though no words did breach my lips. For there are things which so deeply rend the human soul that we dare not shed a single tear, lest our grief overwhelm us, and our hearts cease to beat within.

But when I raised closed eyes to heaven, a silent sound did then escape my lonely world that night.

The cry of a broken heart..

In reading this poem, I hope that one can get a sense of the very real pain and despair over a fractured dream, in this case, the realization that the love one has for another can be unrequited.

If this emotion has been accurately portrayed, those that know me may ask, "You know too much! I didn't think you ever had a girlfriend! How did you write this?"

While it is true that I have not yet been involved in a romantic relationship, I have desired one. This poem illustrates the emotional result of my first serious attempt.

In spite of the pain that I felt, God has given me strength to overcome it, and I have been completely healed, without even a scar left behind. I know that He will bring my future wife and I together in His timing, according to His will, which is perfect and worth waiting for.

Note: Poetic license has been taken in terms of grammar. No criticism please, I wrote it as I intended to the best of my ability.

kitty.mewmew GOLD, Modesto, California

Life is like the piano; what you get out of it depends on how you play it.
It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have time~Tallulah Bankhead.
"Everyone knows that there's no such thing as a cat owner."

your welcome! I constantly have a hard time using that much details....... =)

iamGBOX BRONZE said...
iamGBOX BRONZE, Highland, California

Thanks! :)

kitty.mewmew GOLD, Modesto, California

Good job!! I loved the details and the story. The images and descriptions were also amazing. ;)