The Bite

I asked her if she wanted a bite of my tuna sandwich. “It’s really good!” I said.

“No thanks. Do you know how many carbs and calories that has?” She said.

I thought for a moment and then thought again. “You have to eat at some point. Not eating the way you do is bad.” I told her and she just looked at me with a serious face.

“How do you expect me to lose 8 more pounds if you feed me constantly? Food makes me fatter. I have to be skinny” She almost said that in a rather angry tone of voice.

I’ve been noticing how she won’t eat and if she does, she excuses herself to the bathroom to force it out of her. So with a quick response I spoke rather loudly and said “If you don’t eat, I will scream at the top of my lungs and make a gigantic scene about this.”

Almost instantly she grabbed the other half of my tuna sandwich and took an enormous bite. Through her chewing I heard her mumble “Why must you make me fat? WHY?”

I looked at her and whispered “When you don’t eat for a long time, your body doesn’t recognize when you do eat. Your body just assumes whatever you munch down is going to be toxins and fat, so they make it fat, thus making you fat. So eating is actually better than not eating.” Then I whispered again “Please eat, you scare me when you don’t.”

I was hoping she understood what I was trying to explain and that she would eat again or try to at least.

“You don’t know anything, if I eat, I’ll get fat.” She was really angry when she said that. I saw her put down the sandwich. “Let the birds get fat” She said as she threw it at the wind.

I was hoping I helped but I sadly didn’t. I looked at the rest of the world then look at her and screamed “I WARNED YOU, IF YOU DON’T EAT, I’LL BE UPSET SO YOU BETTER EAT NOW OR I WILL TELL EVERYONE AGAIN.” She looked really scared and the world looked concerned so I yelled a bit louder “THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON’T EAT. MY FRIEND IS 108 POUNDS/5’7” AND SHE CLAIMS SHE NEEDS TO LOSE 8 MORE POUNDS TO BE SKINNY.” Then all of a sudden I noticed she was crying. “I’m sorry for yelling the way I did. I just want you to eat, you’re my best friend and you mean the world to me.” I said so softly and caring. I grabbed her and held her, letting her cry upon my shoulder.
“I didn’t know that not eating impacts everyone around me, not just me. I promise I’ll get help and I’ll eat more.” She said through her tears. I gave her another long hug and then I walked her home.

luvthatdog said...
I really liked this-it was poignant and relatable. Great job! :)

AnniexxAwesome replied...
Thank you!! :DD